Adding OPA2134 for pc speakers? quality improvement? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2012, 06:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adding OPA2134 for pc speakers? quality improvement?

adding the OPA 2134 to the pc 2.1 speakers as they improve the quality of sound according to the reviews.. Jimmy’s Junkyard Blog Archive Inside Altec Lansing MX5021: Amplifier Mod

considering the point that any person who is buying a 2.1 in general might not purchase highend sound card. These days Gigabyte is coming with ALC DAC which is giving some decent 106db SNR claim but might give atleast 100db in reality. Now the point is about adding the OPA2134 to the 2.1 speakers really worth it since its just 1.2 USD altogether but if its improving the sound quality to a decent level like in the above review i believe its worth considering that chip. In some cases there are many motherboards which dont have enough voltage to drive the chip amps I believe adding a opamp at the input of the chip amps should be useful in two ways one : giving enough voltage to the chips to drive. 2: Increasing the sound quality. Any opinions?
Old 19th August 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The limiting factor by far in those loudspeakers is going to be the loudspeakers themselves, then the power amplifier chips and then any opamps that come before them.

Voltage drive, given the situation isn't applicable. If anything were to be, then it would be current drive, in as much as the opamps that come before the power amplifier chips aren't capable of driving the low source impedance of the chip amps. This is baloney though, because the chip amps will have a high source impedance and Altec wouldn't have chosen an op amp that wouldn't be able to drive it.

What he says after the change just sounds like some audiophile reviewer raving about how his hifi has been transformed from mediocre to amazing simply by him wearing a black shirt instead of his usual white one.

Now as to my advice, the opamps in the speakers are quite basic, but are certainly not going to be the limiting factor when it comes to this design. Yes, the OPA134 opamps are quite superior when it comes to the technical specifications and, as noted, aren't in any way expensive. If you want to change the opamps then I'd say go right ahead, you aren't going to be wasting much money at all on this. If you perceive there to be a difference, either due to expectation bias, or due to a real change, then you've got yourself a cheap upgrade. If you don't however hear anything different, then you haven't exactly wasted much money.

I will point out the obvious perhaps, in that poking around inside an electrical appliance, that is usually plugged into to the mains, comes with a risk of electricution. You also stand a chance of accidentally damaging the loudspeakers in some way that would cause them to stop working. If you know yourself to be aware and capable of proceeding in a safe and confident way, then go right ahead. If you are not, then leave them be.
Old 20th August 2012, 04:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

There is a possibility of limiting the input signal voltage thru the opamp so the speakers will be safer than giving the direct connection to the amp from the soundcard or the mobo. I believe this should generally be increasing the sound quality and ofcourse still cheaper 1.2 USD...
Old 20th August 2012, 11:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes but a limiter such as that will be built into the circuitry surrounding the opamp, not the opamp itself. Ergo if there is a cheap limiter in place, changing the opamp wont remove it. Also when crude/cheap limiters are used they tend to be transparent, ie they don't affect the audio quality, unless they are actually limiting something, at which point they tend to sound utterly horrible and not like music.

Hide this!Advertise here!