wima or metalized film cap for .1uf input cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Generally, film caps are better because of their electrical/mechanical properties, but the only way to really know is to listen to different caps for yourself. You may be surprised to find out that you can't hear much of a difference between different kinds of caps. In the end, it all comes down to your personal preference anyway ;)

Very subjective but metal foil capacitors are the best in signal path Duelund Jensen etc
for solid state applications low voltage electrolytic caps are good too like Nichicon Muse Elna Silmic (Black Gate)

I am avoiding metallized film caps imho Elna seriously outperforms Mundorf Silver oil in terms of sonic transparency

YMMV of course

metalised are the cheapest of the film capacitors.
Generally they are perfect for the duty they have to perform, even audio.

Foil caps are more expensive and more bulky. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they can perform better than metalised for AC coupling in audio.
I would not use foil for any other duty, except polystyrene in filters. As far as I know polystyrene are only made as foil in film.

Very subjective but metal foil capacitors are the best in signal path Duelund Jensen etc
for solid state applications low voltage electrolytic caps are good too like Nichicon Muse Elna Silmic (Black Gate)

I am avoiding metallized film caps imho Elna seriously outperforms Mundorf Silver oil in terms of sonic transparency

YMMV of course

in which part of the circuit does elna outperforms Mundorf Silver oil? Input cap?
which version of elna are you talking about bipolar elna?

While I've no experience with the diy amp board you specifiy, I can say that changing the input coupling cap. is usually audible. Those caps. generally regarded as the very best, VCap Teflon film, and Jensen Duelund are outrageously expensive. Opinions tend to vary a good deal regarding the caps. occupying the next lower tier. The majority of which can fairly be called, expensive, if not outrageously so. Choosing one can be a vey subjective matter, on top of which there are just too many options to realistically evaluate them all yourself.

Much of your choice will be determined by your budget. To maximize the effectiveness of your budget, you will want to make sure you are specifying a large enough value cap. but not one that's any larger than necessary. Prices rise sigificantly with capacitance value. The formula for determining the optimum value is both simple and readily available on the web. That optimum value will be a function of the input impedance of your amp and your desired low frequency cut-off. However, sacrificing a little bit of the lowest frequencies (with a smaller than optimum capacitance value) may be a worthwhile trade-off, if doing so enables you to afford a capacitor which sounds better across the remaining audible spectrum. Since this is for input coupling, you likely don't need a high-voltage rated cap., assuming that the maximum D.C. offset which might appear at the preamp output is relatively low.

I've found that I can usually hear the benefits of polypoylene film & foil (not metallized foil) construction coupling caps. I consider most of these relatively affordable (by audiophile standards) in values of about 2.2uF or less. Above 2.2uF, the prices can really become attention getting. For 4.7uF and greater capacitance values, I've had very good sonic results with the affordable non-polar Black Gate 'N' and 'NX' series. But these out of production BGs (as far as I've last heard about) are becoming scarce.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.