diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   1,00,000uf total psu cap for good bass? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/218005-1-00-000uf-total-psu-cap-good-bass.html)

rhythmsandy 16th August 2012 03:49 AM

1,00,000uf total psu cap for good bass?

I would like to use 100000uf of total caps for two channel amp with 2 x lm3886 per channel and expecting good bass out of it. Does the psu caps does punch bass?

lanchile 16th August 2012 04:50 AM

100,000uf will not assure you will have good bass, you can obtain good bass with 20,000uf...with 100,000uf that much capacitance you will need a big transformer, heavy rectifiers and a soft-start. for a chip amp I find it "worthless" . Go discrete and then we are talking!!!;)

bcmbob 16th August 2012 11:35 AM

These caps have made a dramatic improvement for everyone who has used them in the MyRef LM3886 amps. The design of the cap appears to be as significant as the value in terms of producing plentiful controlled bass.

MUNDORF M-Lytic AG Series MLGO+ (Glue-On) & MLSI+ (Snap-In) 2-Pole Electrolytic Capacitors

Boscoe 16th August 2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcmbob (Post 3128507)
These caps have made a dramatic improvement for everyone who has used them in the MyRef LM3886 amps. The design of the cap appears to be as significant as the value in terms of producing plentiful controlled bass.

MUNDORF M-Lytic AG Series MLGO+ (Glue-On) & MLSI+ (Snap-In) 2-Pole Electrolytic Capacitors

Rubbish.

bcmbob 16th August 2012 11:54 AM

Boscoe - Please explain. Have you looked at the reviews of user on the various MyRef threads?

AndrewT 16th August 2012 12:45 PM

Are we talking about 1F or 0.1F of PSU capacitance?
How many amplifiers are being fed?
What impedance of speakers are being fed?
What is the LF pass band frequency of the amplifiers?

bcmbob 16th August 2012 01:17 PM

Hi Andrew,

I 'm just reporting a real world result of substituting a higher grade cap in a specific application. I built some MyRefs with generic caps in that role, and some with this one:

ECO-S1HA103DA Panasonic Electronic Components | Mouser

When the AG caps were installed there was an improvement in both the quality and control of the low end - as well as better definition and energy in the mid frequencies. Nothing more complicated nor scientifically significant is implied.:)

I have no idea how universal that improvement would be with other amp designs or in different roles within other curcuits, but there has been an audible benefit for many in the MyRef community. Other DIYers are of course free to determine what works best for their needs.

rhythmsandy 16th August 2012 04:21 PM

how many amps does 10000uf / 50 v capacitor with ripple current 4amps each. Does it mean that each cap will store 4amps of current reserve?

OnAudio 16th August 2012 04:30 PM

Please read http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...voir-size.html

Boscoe 16th August 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcmbob (Post 3128617)
Hi Andrew,

I 'm just reporting a real world result of substituting a higher grade cap in a specific application. I built some MyRefs with generic caps in that role, and some with this one:

ECO-S1HA103DA Panasonic Electronic Components | Mouser

When the AG caps were installed there was an improvement in both the quality and control of the low end - as well as better definition and energy in the mid frequencies. Nothing more complicated nor scientifically significant is implied.:)

I have no idea how universal that improvement would be with other amp designs or in different roles within other curcuits, but there has been an audible benefit for many in the MyRef community. Other DIYers are of course free to determine what works best for their needs.

Simply people's subjective opinions are useless to determine small physical changes in circuitry however subjective opinions are very good to dictate what you enjoy! Saying that one cap is better than another on one setup is also ridiculous due to the almost infinite combinations of speaker that can be partnered with that amp.

Just interested, can you explain perhaps why this cap would be better?