1,00,000uf total psu cap for good bass? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2012, 05:03 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Here's some woo free commentary on choosing capacitors, courtesy of Walter Jung..

Picking Capacitors - Walter G. Jung and Richard Marsh
Old 20th August 2012, 05:12 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

audibility is fine like you said if u measure the frequency spectrum or mls plot it will have same but what about musicality? Materials are changing some signature i just think that...
Old 20th August 2012, 05:16 PM   #103
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Well I'm a born skeptic long regarding most 'Audio Weenie' claims as delusional.
Many may be delusional, many may be not, but anecdote is not data.
Old 20th August 2012, 05:21 PM   #104
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

SY, I don't want you to compromise your publishing rights, but could you give a shorthand description of what you consider to be valid and usable data? It seems so many things are being intertwined. Though hopefully not irrational, I do admit to mounting confusion.

Last edited by bcmbob; 20th August 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 20th August 2012, 05:32 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

probably some expression on type of sound seems good try.. atleast..
High End Audio - Listening note
Old 20th August 2012, 05:35 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Sorry, not quite clear. Do you mean types of music or lab type test tones?
Old 20th August 2012, 05:37 PM   #107
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
SY, I don't want you to compromise your publishing rights, but could you give a shorthand description of what you consider to be valid and usable data? It seems so many things are being intertwined. Though hopefully not irrational, I do admit to mounting confusion.
Chase the link on tonmeister.ca I gave you before. Basically, you absolutely need level-matched double blind comparisons, otherwise you're conflating a lot of factors having nothing to do with the actual sound. Chapter 5 is the most relevant- read the entire thing in detail.

Of course, if you measure things like 3dB of frequency response change, you don't need DBTs to establish audibility!
Old 20th August 2012, 06:31 PM   #108
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I'm not promoting or refuting anything here, but a question does come to mind. If supposed "higher grade" capacitors are so unnecessary and marginally effective, why haven't simple market forces caused companies to stop making them. Though I agree there is a lot of hype and a lot of people fall for it, it's hard for me to believe so many companies could fool so many people for so many years successfully. How does one determine where to draw the line between fancy boutique, and well worth a few extra bucks.?
One answer is in how to tell in a reliable way how to tell the difference in sound. This video doesn't apply perfectly, but it shows a few pitfalls in human hearing that can lead one astray:
Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube
The scientific test is the double blind test, or as SY has been saying, "ears only" - a comparison between two devices, configurations or whatever based only on the sound, not just without regard to which is which, but without knowledge of which is which.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
In fashion niches, people believe things for reasons other than actual performance.
This statement is true, but incomplete. In audio, they (or even 'we', when we're not on our toes!) can still believe that what they hear is a performance (audible) difference.
Old 20th August 2012, 08:24 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I just watched the Myths video. Though interesting, there was nothing there I was not already aware of. There was also nothing there I could or would refute or disagree with. It is indeed a fascinating science and my hat is off to those who pursue it to that extent.

I will however restate my position. I won't go back over my music performance history but please accept that it has been extensive and at times of very high quality. Unless one possesses the gift of perfect pitch, most people rely on some sort of electronic device to zero in on a standard for the venue and conditions involved.

Beyond that point it is in fact "All Ears". In almost sixty years I have never experienced a jazz combo leader or the conductor of a symphonic group stop a rehearsal or performance because of something seen on a scope or panel. That doesn't negate the value of scopes and panels for amplifier design, scientific research and just plain audiophile intrigue.

All I am now and previously proposing is somewhat more confidence in the accuracy and dependability of what one hears as a gauge to what a circuit is doing. I don't have to have scientific proof that the fragrance of a rose exists and is measurable, before I can appreciate the aroma.

Again, I am fascinated by the science of both electronics and audio and stand in awe of those who have made so many significant discoveries. I just do not believe I am delusional, speaking to aliens, or completely irrational if I post a report dealing with and/or based on a sensibility that I have trusted successfully (and even earned me a few dollars) for a span of several decades

Someone on this forum has the signature "Just Hear The Music". Being truly grateful for and appreciative of the science and technology involved, that's essentially all I want to do. And to a "reasonable" extent, I do trust what I hear. In my mind formal testing is complementary to enjoyable listening – not its replacement or adversary.

Nothing more....nothing less.

O.K. .... back to the "real" business at hand.

Sorry Andrew. I will attempt to keep my distance.

Last edited by bcmbob; 20th August 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:01 PM   #110
diyAudio Moderator

Bob, please read the link I posted. No-one, least of all me, has suggested that you shouldn't use your ears for testing of audibility. In fact, exactly the opposite was suggested. But ears only! Otherwise the quality of your evidence is equivalent to that of alien abductions or fairy spotting (please note the subject of this sentence).

When orchestras audition musicians, they do it from behind a screen. There's a reason for that.

Hide this!Advertise here!