Finally, I've tried S&B TX102 TVC with a GC amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally I tried S&B TX102 TVC too

Being motivated by some posts here, from members building and using those transformers for volume control, I decided to try them myself.

The knob is from original ML preamp;)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,357
As usually I used minimalistic approach. The footprint is 8,5 x 6". It seemed natural to mount the transformers on the outside and 1" acrylic plate was used for that purpose. Since finding forster bits or saws in 2 3/6 size was hard, I cut out the opening in 2 1/2 size and used neoprene gaskets to stabilise TX in the holes. This provides extra decoupling as well.

To make everything more interesting, I used aluminum plate between TX and two angles for front and rear panels. Spacing them away from acrylic base, provides more 3-dimentional look. Special bushings were used to mount those angles.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,348
As to the sound, I have to admit that I'm impressed. The transformers "do" something to the sound that the whole presentation becomes much more involving and coherent. Perhaps Thorsten described it the best:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/54440.html
I'm sure this passive pre has some sort of sound or some kind of reduction in transparency (it would have to for all the solder joins and connectors plus switches), but I can't nail it down, at least not with CD as source. The only way to describe the "sound" is to steal a phrase from Romy the Cat - this unit is INSULTINGLY NEUTRAL.

….. This "Preamp" just gets out of the way of the music….

If you need all the audiophool drivel, I noticed a much more focused soundscape with increased extension into all directions. Individual sounds of instruments (like the bow scraping the strings, the resonating body of the Violin and the slight handling noises on the neck now occupy distinct sonic spaces, whereas I'm used to these sounds being more merged. Don't get me wrong, they have not become disjointed, but simply clearer.

….In terms of downward dynamic range (a term coined by Allan Wright) the system seems to have acquired an extra 6 - 8db of resolution, meaning that much in recordings that was previously buried and compressed by resistively attenuated linestages (passive or active) is now audible.

The switches are from ALCO. I had them in my bin for years and they seem to be good looking, gold plated. Also using toggles here instead of relays or rotary switches seems also to be more purist approach.

I already see some mistakes. First of all, I did a ground lift switch, but it seems that this feature is only good with balanced setup ;).

Secondly, I would make source switching with separate toggles (left and right), so to avoid crosstalk and be able to switch both signal and grounds. I think I will redo it. Since the setup is so good I might also use Kimber RCA's.;)

I think phase switching is possible with that setup?

Peter Daniel said:
The knobs are from the original ML preamp. I don't think you can buy them. The ones I have I bought from a forum member. But I noticed a similar knobs in Bent Audio preamp, which is also a dist. for the transformers.

I tried few other knobs, but this one seems to be the best choice.

Speaking of ML, I think one of the ML series knobs (what a coincidence) from Kilo would look very good on it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Digi-Key's carrying the ML series now.

By the way, most excellent work! You really have a knack for taking basic materials (flats, angles, etc.) and putting them together so the result looks anything but basic.

se

Peter,
we are witnessing an amazing transformation in your designs.
Design-wise it's something in between the Shanling tubeSACD, a CHORD and an Hovland.

What is the blue gasket between the trafos and the chassis?
Does your wife have anything to say about you putting spikey things on her good table? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.