EI with Mundorf or Toroidal with cheap psu caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 03:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EI with Mundorf or Toroidal with cheap psu caps?

I had to make a choice where the toroidal for 300va is costing about 60 dollars and EI is costing about 20 dollars Im thinking to get EI and spend rest for the Mundorf capacitors what do you recommend. Is this combination better or do I need to go with Toroidal with cheaper caps..
Old 14th August 2012, 05:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found one capacitor company called as Keltron establishment assisted by Spargue Electromag , Belgium, in 1976. Each capacitor 10000uf/50v is supposed to be 2 USD so i think we can use 6 of them to form 60000uf paralled with two 1000uf elna silmic2 should be fine i believe any opinions please...
Old 14th August 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

In general an EI transformer will have a much larger magnetic leakage. More so with a cheap one. If you don't mind mucking around with layouts and/or living with some induced hum then go for the EI.

I wouldn't.

But then I would not get hung up on the name printed on a cap. Especially if it purports to be something special for audio. (how does it know it is in an audio system?).

I would go for some solid psu caps, paying particular attention to ripple current rating and overall capacitance.

For my money I would go the torpid and some decent caps - and don't waste your money on branding.
Old 14th August 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not sure i understand the grounds for your question. Toroids have no advantage in an audio PS other than the form factor and the low radiation - only an issue in tight spaces.

The Mlytics, otoh, i find much better sounding than any Japanese cap of current production... and no bypassing is necessary.
Old 14th August 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

what Im thinking of is to use the psu as a saperate chassis and then use the actual amplifier into another box so that I can save alot of money on this

example: an toroidal at 18-0-18 300va will cost around 60 dollars instead I can purchase ei which costs 10 dollars and spend rest on the Mundorf and elna silmic2 for psu. That sounds great I believe...

I accept the EI will induce the magnetic filelds but sonically it will not have any variation if its isolated 4 feet from the actual amplifier I think this should solve the issue isnt it..
Old 14th August 2012, 02:41 PM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Have you read the Threads on separate mains powered PSU?
There is a big Safety issue when the Protective Earth (PE) is not in the box that you touch and connect to other pieces of equipment.
Old 14th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmm i think i should stick with the onebox for everything....

Hide this!Advertise here!