Choosing the right capacitors for C12? necessity of it with power psu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Im trying to use Mundorf AG capacitors with the circuit

PA100 DIY 2x LM3886 in parallel gainclone audio amplifier

the capacitor C12 and C14 also come under the power supply capacitors.

Im driving the 5.1 amplifier for pc purpose with 10 inch subwoofer from peerless SLS series with 70watts RMS input with two LM3886 in parallel 8 ohms and others with be small 2 way with 3 inch midbass and 1 inch vifa ring tweeter.

Now im thinking of using elna silmic 2 for the C12 and C14 capacitors but chipamp uses only 100uf for this and shine7 uses 1000uf and since its elna its expensive when it comes to the 1000uf.

I am thinking that using one 1000uf and one 10000uf for the supply capacitor for all the channels. Is that ok? or do i need to use 100uf for each channel or 1000uf for each channel?

Please give me a suggestion on this one...

what is the disadvantage of using one decoupling capacitor for all the channels does it makes any difference...

1. chipamp website states to use 100uf for this ( which is a cheaper solution but how does it sound different? ) I would be using a 3 inch midbass + 1 ring radiator for the satellites.

2. If Im using a common decoupling capacitor does it has any sonic variations.. Im expecting 100uf is good in mids and 1000uf will add more bass to it? what could be the result?

For Power supply capacitors Im thinking of using Mundorf AG. Is there any better alternative to that? Ive heard that using Mundorf AG capacitors will improve the sound quality by 80% so thinking to use this one.... rest of the decoupling and signal caps would be using Silmic2 and the input cap could be Mundorf or CTR capacitor for 1uf as DC blocking capacitor.

Please suggest me if I can improve beyond this. Resistors wise I cant go with CADDOCK since it will be way to expensive overall and also experts say it sounds pretty cynical and some dont even notice that... The change is not as much as how the capacitors make the change. ...

80% ?
allready fishy...
improves what figure by 80% ?
:)
come on...
its snake oil.

say.. for powersupply buffer capacitors, might make sense to use low ESR rated ones, but mostly i just can't get that capacitor fever.
Same with input capacitors, plain-jane ones will do justfine till they are large enough.

Use 1000uF as in the diagram (most designs use 1000uF). There is no 'best' brand of capacitor in this position but many prefer Panasonic FC.

Presumably you are using the PSU that goes with this design so stick to the 10K/100uF.

....................Location relative to the chipamp power pins is possibly more important than what make/type of capacitor is selected.
Similarly for C11 & 13, except that location is even more important.

....................... for powersupply buffer capacitors, might make sense to use low ESR rated ones, but mostly i just can't get that capacitor fever.
Same with input capacitors, plain-jane ones will do justfine till they are large enough.

any suggestions please...
How many more suggestions do you need before the message gets through?

One thing I can tell you is that Silmics are highly regarded for certain applications but not all! I don't believe that they are necessarily a good choice for chip amp power supplies.

With respect, it sounds as though you have become hooked on certain brands of capacitor, and are determined to shoe them in somewhere, regardless of the advice that you are seeking in this thread.

I would be using these speakers..
For surround tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

For surround midbass: Madisound Speaker Store

For especially center channel:
The same tweeter as above... and for midbass..
WF160WA01

For subwoofer :Madisound Speaker Store

for center channel im thinking to use Silmics or im thinking to use for every other channel. Its for a commercial product.. do you think using silmics 2 is worth for this configuration?

Or for surrounds I might just use only full range capacitors.

The player in general which will be clubbed with this is this..
http://www.sony.co.in/product/dvp-sr750hp

The input capacitors for the each channel amplification will be the CTR Polyproplene capacitors even in the crossovers it will be the same...

The problem is im looking from musicality point of view but little bit skeptical to use silmics but since its just 2-4 dollars more and on an aggregate it would cost hardly 40 dollars for silmics and 40 dollars for two 10000uf mundorf Ag psu caps. So together im thinking to use it since it would make good improvement overall.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.