ChipAmp Reviews?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, someone know some page where can see reviews about DIY ChipAmps ? i already build 2 amps (LM3886, LM4870), and want to build other ones, the main problem is to figure wich to build, will be great if someone know some url where ppl review some of these amps!.

I don't think that there is such a web site.

You might start a comparison by printing out all the datasheets and looking at the specs for the amp in terms of power, distortion, and how distortion changes with frequency and power level. This is one big difference between chip amps, for instance. Also, check the THD level above 1k Hz (look for plots) as this is where distortion rises with frequency.

There are other subtleties too, like what kind of devices are used for the power stage of the chip amp. I recall reading some posts to this effect that were comparing the TDA7293 & TDA7294 chip amps to the LM3886 and LM4870.

-Charlie

From your post I'm not sure if you want to try a different chip, but the BrianGT amps are my favorite low cost kit. They hold their own against the more sophisticated designs like the MyRef series.

Have you looked at the XY thread? They may be a little cheaper but are very similar to the ChipAmp.com amps.

LM3886 chips are all I have tried so others will make their own suggestions on alternatives.

I like TDA2009. It can put out around 3W or 4W at 0.1% THD (higher wattage gives higher THD). It is the best I have seen for small power chip amp. Low power means it is not expensive to build a beefy power supply (capacitance multiplier).

Some higher power chip amps can give comparable THD specification. But wait, check the topology first. Most of them are the boring quasi output stage. The TDA2009 also uses quasi output, but with unique topology (a better one). And look at the feedback topology or the input singleton:

Attachments

• TDA2009Quasi.PNG
    TDA2009Quasi.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 374
From your post I'm not sure if you want to try a different chip, but the BrianGT amps are my favorite low cost kit. They hold their own against the more sophisticated designs like the MyRef series.

Have you looked at the XY thread? They may be a little cheaper but are very similar to the ChipAmp.com amps.

LM3886 chips are all I have tried so others will make their own suggestions on alternatives.

reading xy now :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.