My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Avel Lindberg do a good range of encapsulated toroidals with an interwinding screen and will make whatever you need for a reasonable price.They are what I used in my FE build.Drop Chris Hall an email with details of what you require.I seem to remember that Toroidy wanted 30+euros for delivery the last time I ordered from them so postage from AL at a tenner will be a lot cheaper.

Transformers and Power Converters From Avel Lindberg 2002 Ltd.

I doubt this.
(...)
What is the regulation of a similar size R core?

I don't know, Andrew, but in my case it was so.

I've compared a 225VA 2x25V toroid Vs a 120VA 2x24V R-Core.

Both without load gave around 26V, with load the r-core fall to 25V and the toroid to 24V.

Consistent with informations I've read but sincerely I can't remember where.

Well I am a little late to the party, but I guess it is not over :D I wanted to check the basic function of the boards before I finished all of the assembly of the chassis, and all of the input and output wiring. I designed the chassis for ease of repair if neccesary and any component swapping I may do. I will get to that soon...anyway I powered up the boards one at a time (just in case:D)the left channel relay clicked, led lit and the offset was @2.99mv, the right channel relay clicked and the led lit, offset was @2.83mv.

So now I have to do all the final wiring and test the channels at the same time. I also have a switch circuit that I need to finish and test, and then maybe on to some listening tests!

... at least you didn't drop off the face of the earth like me.

Squalor,

Welcome back. Did you fall off the edge or fall up into space? I've always been curious what that would be like. As you know, it's never too late. These threads don't really die, they just hibernate. We are happy to have you back.

Jac

Life is what happens when you are thinking about doing projects.

A few pics of the nearly finished build. The entire construction is made up of two main parts, the main chassis and the outer enclosure. The pics below are of the main chassis, the rear panel is attached so that the entire finished unit can be removed from the outer enclosure without the need to disrupt any wiring. I apologize for the fuzzy cell pics..I will try to get some shots of the outer enclosure tommorow.

Attachments

• chassis bottom.jpg
    chassis bottom.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 252
  • chassis side.jpg
    chassis side.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 236
  • chassis side bottom.jpg
    chassis side bottom.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 236
The Question Nobody Asked

Can you feed a MyRef amp with a balanced signal through a balanced line receiver?

In theory, any single ended amp should be able to get a balanced signal this way, but I had a few questions.

1. The differential line receiver needs a few milliamps DC power. Can I supply it from the FE regulated voltage supply without problems?

2. The MyRef (an FE RC in this case) has a little bit unusual grounding scheme with audio ground and the speaker negative terminal separated by a 1 ohm resistor. If I connect the audio ground of the differential line receiver in parallel to the MyRef audio ground at the input cable connector, would any noise be introduced?

3. My first attempt of a differential line receiver uses an AD797 opamp which is notoriously fussy. Are there any oscillations or any other noise problems with my little board design?

4. What is the sound difference, if any, between balanced and single ended?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=338493&stc=1&d=1364250979

This is my little stereo differential line receiver. I've learned more since I designed it, so I would do things differently the next time, but it works. Questions 1 and 3 are answered with no problems. Question 2 is no problem either. Background noise is silent and music plays normally.

Now the big question. How does it sound. I need a little time before coming to any conclusions. First impression of the balanced connection is that it is even more detailed, but I am set up for quick changes between single ended and balanced and I need to do the back to back comparison.

Attachments

• Differential Line Receiver.jpg
    Differential Line Receiver.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 186
Jac,

I asked the question(s) long time ago but everyone ignored me.:violin:

Thanks for digging in with more than questions - a real application. Beyond any differences in sound quality, it's my understanding that if needed, longer interconnects can be used in balanced mode.

I'm on the giant waiting list for the new Jean-Paul/Subbu DAC which has or will have a balanced configuration. An end to end balanced system is floating at the top of my bucket list. Never heard of a pro recording studio using a single ended setup.

Please keep us informed.:xfingers:

Last edited:
Bob,

Of course it is your idea;-) You are the font.

As I have been listening, I have been thinking about the signal path. Almost all DACs deliver their signal as a balanced signal. Somewhere in the approximate zone of the analog, low-pass anti-alias filter, the DAC designer either outputs the balanced signal or combines the signal into a single ended signal. That means some electronics which may affect the sound. It may mean a different low pass filter solution for single ended.

Of course the wire is different, but if you are using a single ended amplifier, you also need a line receiver to convert from balanced to single ended signal and that could affect sound. The total amount of electronics is probably about the same balanced between balanced and single ended, but the where and how is different.

If you really want to do balanced end to end, you could do something like Twisted Pear's Sympatico or other discrete solutions that stay balanced through the amp. I've always been a little curious about the Sympatico since Russ White at Twisted Pear started with the MyRef and has moved to the Sympatico.

Enough rambling on my part. More listening.

Jac

3. My first attempt of a differential line receiver uses an AD797 opamp which is notoriously fussy.

When I implemented a balanced receiver if found the information from Rod Elliot at ESP very helpful (and detailed). I plumped for using the INA2134, which I perceived as sounding better than the SSM2141. However the recommendations on Rod's site seem to suggest that a THAT chip is much better. None-the-less I am very happy with the INA - but might try the THAT chip in the future.

Cheers
Geoff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.