My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I have been running my FE for atleast 5 hours a day. It sounds so so good. I have only 2 amps I heard so far and I posses. One is my Onkyo 5008 receiver and MyRef. My setup is Marantz CD53(Modded) -> MyRef -> Monitor Audio. I like it very very much. I have a question, so far MyRef has around 50+ hours burn in time. Can I expect more improvement in sound wise after some hours of component burn in? I am rising this question because the lower frequency which I able to hear from Onkyo 5008 setup, not able hear in MyRef setup. Please clarify me.

Thanks
Badri

Last edited:
.....................because the lower frequency which I able to hear from Onkyo 5008 setup, not able hear in MyRef setup. ..................

Are you sure the Onkyo is feeding straight through or is it boosting the bass?...............
Yes, a very valid question !
Is it a bass boost problem, or a bass cut problem?

Bass boost can also be brought about by adjusting the damping factor seen by the speaker.
A higher source impedance tends towards increasing the output around a narrow band of frequencies.

Yes, the same bass boost as engineered into the Onkyo/speaker could be obtained by adding a 100milliohm resistor into the output lead of the MyRef/speaker combination.

It may not simply be an amplifier frequency response issue !

Are you sure the Onkyo is feeding straight through or is it boosting the bass? Obviously no tone controls on the MyRef.

I have used the full band width option for front speaker in onkyo speaker configuration and kept it in stereo mode and used the audyssey setup configuration. But the sound which i heard may not be boosted, it may be captured or produced in that way in the source.

I like it very very much. I have a question, so far MyRef has around 50+ hours burn in time. Can I expect more improvement in sound wise after some hours of component burn in?

Since you're using Black Gates, yes.

They change until 500 hours...

and used the audyssey setup configuration

this could be the problem, the audissey EQ do equalize....and should optimize frequency response in room.

Bradi, Did you use the Mundorf AG caps? They have a significant impact on bass response.

Yes I have Mundorf Mlytic caps. And no doubt sound is superb and bass is excellent. I used to have a long listening session. With MyRef I didn't feel tired, no fatigue which I had from Onkyo. This is a particular scenario, the bass which i heard from onkyo in a particular track that I didnt hear from MyRef.

It looks like it has pre outs. Are these pre outs "Audessey'ed"? If you can hook them up to the MyRef and then run the Audessey program I would say then you can do a true comparison.

To do that I need to remove the volume pot from MyRef? Is that enough straight straight away send the input to the board? Or do I need to change any component values to make it as a power amp?

Thanks
Badri

I cannot agree that changing the MyRef gain is a good solution.

That change will almost certainly require a redesign of the compensations.

I can recommend a change in the attenuation immediately before the MyRef.
Leaving the added attenuation this late in the chain minimises the amount of noise added by the attenuation.
Try a 20dB (divide by 10) first and see if that gets you into the ballpark.
I'd suggest a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor wired in series as the load for the 10k volume pot.
The MyRef input pin gets connected to the junction of the 10k & the 1k.
The bottom of the vol pot and the bottom of the 1k and the MyRef Signal Ground all get connected together.

You could add the extra attenuation before the vol pot, but this would require the added attenuator and the vol pot to be located at the MyRef on very short leads.

Do you have any pic of the interior or of the build process?
Yes, see the attachments, I've taked just before the front leds installation.

And is that a horn or TL speaker?
Thank you Bob, the speaker are Penaudio Chara and Charisma in a three channel configuration, the "stand" cabinet is the bass unit, the upper unit have others two channels.
This is a good review: Penaudio's Chara-Charisma -- Is Compromise A Good Thing? Review By Rick Jensen

Attachments

• DSC_0462.jpg
    DSC_0462.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0463.JPG
    DSC_0463.JPG
    941.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0469.jpg
    DSC_0469.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 190
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.