My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That one is a little expensive if you don't use it a lot,and you might get a better deal on ebay or Amazon. I suggested it only because SPL (sound pressure level) is easier to interpret. There are standards expressed in db (decibels) the relate to real word situations. Loud, soft and such terms are all relative.

If you choose to, you can correlate your volume settings to a more scientific standard - also keyed to distance from the source of the sound. The efficiency and design of the speakers vary so much, it can be useful to know at what SPL in a given system the clipping occurs. There are also all the lab/hardware devices that can be even more informative - but that's still above my pay grade for now.:rolleyes:

It obviously is not something that will influence the operation of the amp, and is completely optional - but is fun to have around.;)

Last edited:
Interesting... very similar impressions!

cool:hohoho:

So, at the end a difference was there... ;)
not huge, but noticeable! that is the main point.:)

Yes it is loud enough to my room. But I wanted to try atleast 80% volume to see how loud it is!!!!

Mine 10k log Dale attenuator was set to 15th step out of 23 when I compared the caps. That was quite loud, not 80% of the scale, though more than a half. Do you use linear pot or log? It should be fine with the last one as we don't have linear hearing.

Last edited:
The Audio Tool app is really quite remarkable. It was nice enough that I upgraded to the paid version ($6.95). More useful real time information than the dedicated RS unit I've been using. I don't own an iPhone or iPad but I'm sure there is an equivalent available.

Just a reference - with JRiver flac files using the program volume control - playing through a Mini2496 DAC - pushing the Sunflower speakers, there is no clipping at max settings. Just very very loud :)

It is more likely that the system gain is too high.
A CDP putting out ~2.2Vac @ 0dBfs into an amplifier with 31.77times gain (+30dB) has the potential to give an output of 98Vpk if the amp supply rails were +-105Vdc.
Simply ludicrous to expect anything other than "just turned on" when using a normal potentiometer and bonkers to consider a linear law potentiometer.

read
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/186018-what-gain-structure.html

Last edited:
Can you refer a good one?

I bought this one. Should be even better then Alps as it's of ladder type, but I didn't compare though have them both.

One bad common thing about China attenuators, is that the 1st one I got couple of month ago was completely defective, the other one had a wrong DALE resistor soldered on both channels. So I had to replace them with Vishay, didn't want to spend another month of waiting for the 3rd one :D

Last edited:
I have two of these at Dario's recommendation. Very nice pot.

I have the same Bob. Its so nice. I am using it with Siva's MyRef. I felt like it rolled off the high frequency. I planned to use it with FE but i auditioned Siva's system where he used plain philips carbon potentiometer and changed my mind gone to Alps. I will try the mentioned attenuator. May be off topic, I even had clipping with siva's MyRef, but only at 80% volume. It is really louder.

The amps are built and working from September, some photos are attached below.

They are a far cry from the gainclone I had and considering that the power stage is practically the same, I guess the project make a difference.
The most obvious aspect is the control of low frequencies that now are more consistent with the rest of the spectrum, before the bass*joined to standing waves of the room, making it sound very artificial.

Now the modal resonances remain, but the bass is still nice, however I would add a few pictures with the rock wool to dampen the reverberation of the room.
I've attached also a picture with a graph of RT60 of right channel (RT60 is the time required for reflections of a direct sound to decay by 60 dB below the level of the direct sound.)

Then I perceived a greater involvement with the voices, thanks the great detail and dynamics.

In conclusion, the My_Ref_FE have really satisfied me, the transition from gainclone was not a side-grade, as initially thought.

Thanks,
Roberto

Attachments

• IMG_20120906_164944.jpg
    IMG_20120906_164944.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20120906_172550.jpg
    IMG_20120906_172550.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Rt60.png
    Rt60.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.