My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a quick question probably to AndrewT, Dario, linuxguru or other experts here.
what would be the best option to install FE in this rather small box:

I'm sorry but I really don't think, as I've already said, using that small box for both modules it's a good idea.

I suggest you to buy HiFi 2000 1GX288, it costs 30€ and you can fit all things inside it:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0085 1024.jpg
    DSC_0085 1024.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 561
I'm sorry but I really don't think, as I've already said, using that small box for both modules it's a good idea.

I suggest you to buy HiFi 2000 1GX288, it costs 30€ and you can fit all things inside it:

I need this rather small enclosure to match my Preamp/ DAC, otherwise I would have gone for a full size one! Anyway, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 207
Just being silly again Andrew. ;)

I am however, like dtses also doing the squeeze play on a build for the beta boards. The BLAT should be up and running in a few days and has a 7" x 10" footprint. Hope to have a full build thread/blog up by the weekend.

Attachments

• 20121022_055348.jpg
    20121022_055348.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 20121022_055441.jpg
    20121022_055441.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 203
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I unfortunately seem to be getting nowhere fast.Carefully resoldered all the smd components and fitted a new 3886;cleaned the pcb's and checked for solder links non found so I fired it up through a bulb tester which glowed brightly for a fraction of a second but the led did'nt glow nor the relay click.When I checked voltages there is +-29.3v but across C102/202 I have +14v but only -7.8v.There is no dc offset on the output but 2v on the input which again slowly decreases.Help!

The relay is in the ground return of the speaker.
You can measure the output voltage of the amplifier direct between spkr out and audio ground.
The bulb tester is to prevent damage due to an assembly or modification error.
But that does not stop the bulb tester being used while actually playing music. But this only applies to lowish Idle bias current amplifiers. It does not work for high bias amplifiers like Roenders 600mA bias fc100.

So back to the chipamp that does not work properly with the vulb tester in circuit. The relay should be on a yimer noit on a voltage detector monitoring the supply line.
If the voltage detector reads a low supply voltage and as a result the relay may, or may not pull in. That is a relay driver circuit failure, not an amplifier failure.

You can over-ride the relay power detection by taking 12V direct to the relay coil, but as said earlier you can still measue outputs by clipping/probing audio ground.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Whoops I was disconnecting the transformer secondaries from the board and one of the spade connectors pulled straight out of the pcb.Refluxed and rewetted/soldered I connected things back up and the realay clicked;led lit and I now have +- 14.5v and an offset reading which has been steady at 4.8mv with the input shorted for the last 10/15 mins.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I did Bob yes.Strange that I had connected/disconnected umpteen times before with nothing coming apart and what appeared to be shiney solder joints.Anyway the board is still connected with 4.8mv offset and nothing overheating.Would I be better to try with a dummy load?

Last edited:
Freman edition, which looks like it could sound even better?

Hi John,

yes, it sound better ;)

Are boards still available please?

Sadly no, maybe you could ask if one of the Release Candidate partecipants that buyed spare boards wants to sell them.

In the next months, though, there will probably be a group buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.