My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally got my FE RC build working today....
I will wait a week or so before getting too sentimental, but the sound is already very good after a few hours...
Thanks Dario, it's sounding good!
Bill

I've been using my FE build for a couple of weeks now, and it really sounds great.
Playing CD on a shigaclone through Peter Daniels NOS DAC, into a lightspeed then out into a pair of recently re-built Yamaha NS10 monitors (still on the bench).

I did try to disconnect the ground loop breakers from the FE modules as you suggested Dario, and I could hear no difference. I'll try that again later.

I'm not too keen on talking about how things sound, but... IMHO...
The soundstage (don't really like that term either, makes me think of a film set,...) is one of the key improvements of this build over the Rev C ultimate, very well defined sense of 3D from only two sources.
String instruments, like bass sound really good (Scott Le Faro, on Waltz for Debbie by Bill Evans), the bass is as warm as I could expect through fairly harsh NS10 speakers, you can hear all the frets and fingers, it's gorgeous.
Really good definition of most instruments (assuming they are well recorded), not too harsh, not too rich.
Very pleased! Really good sounds!

I did use the sockets for input to the boards, so I am able to try an Alps blue pot and various input capacitors in place of the current obligato and lightspeed combo, when I can find the time to stop listening...

Marra, I hope you find the problem soon, its worth persevering!

Thanks Dario!

Bill

I've been using my FE build for a couple of weeks now, and it really sounds great.

I'm happy you like the amp

I did try to disconnect the ground loop breakers from the FE modules as you suggested Dario, and I could hear no difference. I'll try that again later.

Good to know, so it seems the ground breaker has no evident impact on sound.

If you connect PGND to safety earth, on the contrary, soundstage suffer a lot.

Thanks Dario!

You're welcome :)

Dario, do you have any information on how much heat the smd components can take? There is a good possibility I went overboard by reheating some pieces several times in an attempt to straighten the lay on the PCB.

I'm suspecting they might be related to the hum problem I'm having when attaching some pre/gain devices - even though the noise completely disappears with the FE - Mini 2496 combination.

There is a good possibility I went overboard by reheating some pieces several times in an attempt to straighten the lay on the PCB.

It depends on how much time and how many reheating you've done.

Like most parts soldering time should not exceed 10 continuos seconds, I would say.

BTW, if parts measure right they should be fine.

I'm suspecting they might be related to the hum problem I'm having when attaching some pre/gain devices - even though the noise completely disappears with the FE - Mini 2496 combination.

I'm a bit skeptic about that but you can try to replace those resistors with a reasonable expense.

I think I asked this question earlier but not sure if it was this thread.

Does the size of the tabs on an AC/Mains switch have any impact on supplied power in an application like the FE? The left item is from a computer tower I produced years ago and handled a normal (200 W) PC power supply without difficulty. I'm not sure if the same electro-mechanical principles apply - meaning a possible bottleneck - for amplifiers. On the right is a standard AC inlet with 1/4 " tabs.

I have several dozen both momentary and on/off and would like to put them to use if possible.

Attachments

• 20121016_153033.jpg
    20121016_153033.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 243
cheers!

a quick question probably to AndrewT, Dario, linuxguru or other experts here.
what would be the best option to install FE in this rather small box:

-place toroids below the main pcbs (about 1cm gap between pcb and toroid)
-place one toroid on another, same with pcbs (no problem with toroids as it was discussed here and here)

both options could be used as the ordered PS caps (Panasonic) are only 3cm height. Though 1st one is easier to implement for me, but will require longer and unequal speaker and signal cables. Second is good, but there is lees than 1mm space between top toroid and the closing lid and moreover, I'm not sure how would perform FE boards in this config?!
The question is which one would be still better?! Perhaps some aluminum shield is required if I'd go with the 1st one?

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.