My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2013, 09:25 PM   #911
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dario, the layout just seems logical. As for the iec inlet, it is not the filtered type. It houses a power switch and a fuse all in one package. That is why it appears larger like the filtered inlets. I like having a switch at the inlet on the back of the device where little hands can't get to just for extra safety!

It is too bad the filtered iec inlets are not suitable for audio.
Old 4th February 2013, 09:41 PM   #912
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
IMHO yes, my 120VA R-Cores sound fuller and more powerful than my 225VA Toroid toroids.

But it seem I'm the only one that made a comparison...
I'd love to try some but still haven't found a source where the shipping didn't equal or exceed the cost of the transformers. Still searching.

Just bought today's Mega-Milloins Lotto ticket, so maybe.......
Old 4th February 2013, 10:18 PM   #913
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIL4x4 View Post
As for the iec inlet, it is not the filtered type. It houses a power switch and a fuse all in one package.
I see.

I still recommend that Furutech inlet...

Quote:
It is too bad the filtered iec inlets are not suitable for audio.
Never said so... Bob uses filtered inlets and his reports are embarrassingly good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I'd love to try some but still haven't found a source where the shipping didn't equal or exceed the cost of the transformers. Still searching.
Have you tried to get a quote here or here?

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 4th February 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:30 PM   #914
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dario, I'll check them out.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:43 PM   #915
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking at partsconnexion that furutech inlet really isn't too expensive, somthing to consider, but I do like the convenience of the switch and fuse holder in the one I have....choices, choices.

As for the filter. My understanding was that any mains noise they "filter out" is simply diverted to ground. Which for most electronics would be acceptable, but in audio this "filtered noise" could become audible. Maybe my thought on this is flawed?
Old 4th February 2013, 10:51 PM   #916
diyAudio Member

I did a little reading a while back and it appeared the filters might help receivers (still audio) but not necessary for properly built power amps.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:06 PM   #917
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looking at partsconnexion that furutech inlet really isn't too expensive, somthing to consider, but I do like the convenience of the switch and fuse holder in the one I have....choices, choices.

Quote:
As for the filter. My understanding was that any mains noise they "filter out" is simply diverted to ground. Which for most electronics would be acceptable, but in audio this "filtered noise" could become audible. Maybe my thought on this is flawed?
First of all we should establish if you find that power cables, inlets and filters on AC power have audible effects... let's assume we both trust it.

As in all design choices you have advantages and drawbacks... if your AC power is really dirty, noisy, etc. an AC filter would be an advantage (also soundwise) even if the caps in the filter have an effect on sound.

If the AC power is reasonably clean an unfiltered connection would avoid the caps contribution.

Most commercial power amps have no filtered inlets, but it's not rare to find really simple filters made with X or Y caps.

I use an hot to neutral X type (Kemet/Acrotronics R41, Mouser 80-R413I21005000K) polypropilene cap as a basic filter.

Choices... choices...

BTW the Fremen Edition is less sensitive than a plain My_Ref to parts in the AC power path.

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 4th February 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 11:26 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

On another subject - while searching the stash for parts to another project I found some 3.25 mm brushes cables I salvaged from a former employer. They look like Litz to me. Think they would be any good for output to post ???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130204_181557.jpg (73.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 5th February 2013, 12:18 AM   #919
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Default GB for final boards

My_Ref Fremen Edition Interest/Group Buy

Final boards are not supposed to be an upgrade to RC boards.
Old 6th February 2013, 01:26 AM   #920
diyAudio Member

Default Favorite Alternative DIY Amp?

Now that Dario has offered a GB on more boards, I find myself thinking about future products and whether I should just go ahead and by more Fremen Editon PCBs. I have to admit that I am still really happy with the sound from the FE and can't think how I would improve it. That said, I don't have broad experience with other DIY amps.

I'm just curious, of this group that has already experienced the FE or other more refined MyRefs, are there other DIY amp designs that you have experienced and would recommend in comparison to the FE?

Jac

Hide this!Advertise here!