Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 10:56 PM   #861
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

You're build is for sure one of the most compact.

Extreme but well done
Old 15th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #862
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dario, for your comment and great amp once again!
Old 16th December 2012, 10:57 AM   #863
romvise is offline romvise  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtses View Post
some pics below:
It look so terrific! I envy your building skills.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:31 PM   #864
diyAudio Member

cheers guys!

Merry Xmas! Joy and happiness with your FEs
Old 24th December 2012, 12:35 PM   #865
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

MEE TOO !

Happy Holidays and best wishes for a great 2013.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:51 PM   #866
diyAudio Member

Happy Holidays to all of you.

I'm listening to Eclectic24 (internet radio station) on my FE's and soldering a Salas voltage regulator. That, plus family tomorrow, is and enjoyable holiday.

Jac
Old 24th December 2012, 12:54 PM   #867
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear from you Jac - thought you had gone underground (like building a tube amp )

All the best to you and yours !!
Old 24th December 2012, 10:52 PM   #868
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Merry Christmas!

Inviato dal mio LT22i con Tapatalk 2
Old 25th December 2012, 11:21 PM   #869
diyAudio Member

Default Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Glad to hear from you Jac - thought you had gone underground (like building a tube amp )
Bob,

Underground? In a way. Subwoofers are down at the bottom, grounded, if not underground.

I've been busy designing an upgraded signal board for my feedback subwoofer. I took suggestions from on components from Dario, gleaned pearls of wisdom from Dario, Andrew, and Tom, and studied the FE RC and other designs to come up with a board design. It just arrived as if a Christmas present.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a bit larger than the FE boards. It as about 240 x 170 mm (9.5 x 6.5" for those of us stuck in the Victorian world). This is mostly a component and layout upgrade of my existing circuit. Among other goals, I wanted to keep most of my resistor values in the 1k to 10k range. That meant bigger capacitors (note the big rectangles on the board) and I chose to use high quality axial caps throughout. I used Susumu SMD resistors in the signal path and carbon film caps on traces to ground (thanks Dario). Following the lead of the FE, the design uses a ground plane. Most of the small components will be mounted on the side shown in the picture and that will be the bottom once installed. The big caps will be mounted on the top, ground plane side so that they are supported by gravity.

The most important part of the board for sound quality is the high pass crossover which feeds the FEs and the satellites. Since there are now 4 caps, including C13 on the FE, in series with the signal, I will play with different caps to get the right mix of sound. My first attempt will be an Audyn True Copper or a Jupiter HT paralleled by an FT-1 or small K71 in the first signal path position. That will be followed by K71s and K75 with a small parallel cap. I really like the K75 with an Amtrans in parallel as my current C13.

The low pass and feedback side are expected to be less critical for caps since they only pass 20 to 100 Hz. I am planning Mundorf Evo's and K40s as nice sounding, low cost caps with good bass.

Now I have to build and test it. Here is hoping everything works.

Jac

PS There is a bigger image of the board in my gallery. I can't seem to figure out how to get the thumbnails to copy over and expand when clicked. Sorry.

Last edited by lehmanhill; 25th December 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #870
diyAudio Member

Hey Jac, I really didn't understand what you were doing so I asked Mr. Google. Got this article. Is that the concept you are working with?

I gave up on the thumbnail thing. I use Xnview (Fantastic free program) to touch up and size the picture then save it to the desktop or some folder I'm using.

Then I select the "Attachment" icon in the menu bar. That opens a window with open slots for item selection. Navigate to the picture you want uploaded and repeat as needed. After those selections are complete, click on the "Upload" button. Wait for that to complete and close the window. Select "Preview" to confirm you have what you want and how it will look on the thread. If it is not what you want select the attachment icon again and kook for "Manage Attachments" where you can delete an item and replace it using the same process. When you are happy, do the actual post. The thirty minute edit time window is active, and you can edit text and/or go all the way back to advanced mode if that's what you need. Of course you have to be in advanced mode and not "Quick Reply" for this to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (16.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (38.0 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 26th December 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!