My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 83 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 12:51 PM   #821
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

How's This: A gainclone relates to a MyRef, as a go-cart relates to a sedan. They both have a gas engine and four wheels, but.... ????
Old 6th December 2012, 01:01 PM   #822
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
I have been running my FE for atleast 5 hours a day. It sounds so so good. I have only 2 amps I heard so far and I posses. One is my Onkyo 5008 receiver and MyRef. My setup is Marantz CD53(Modded) -> MyRef -> Monitor Audio. I like it very very much. I have a question, so far MyRef has around 50+ hours burn in time. Can I expect more improvement in sound wise after some hours of component burn in? I am rising this question because the lower frequency which I able to hear from Onkyo 5008 setup, not able hear in MyRef setup. Please clarify me.

Thanks
Badri

Last edited by badrisuper; 6th December 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:10 PM   #823
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you sure the Onkyo is feeding straight through or is it boosting the bass? Obviously no tone controls on the MyRef.
Old 6th December 2012, 01:21 PM   #824
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrisuper View Post
.....................because the lower frequency which I able to hear from Onkyo 5008 setup, not able hear in MyRef setup. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Are you sure the Onkyo is feeding straight through or is it boosting the bass?...............
Yes, a very valid question !
Is it a bass boost problem, or a bass cut problem?

Bass boost can also be brought about by adjusting the damping factor seen by the speaker.
A higher source impedance tends towards increasing the output around a narrow band of frequencies.

Yes, the same bass boost as engineered into the Onkyo/speaker could be obtained by adding a 100milliohm resistor into the output lead of the MyRef/speaker combination.

It may not simply be an amplifier frequency response issue !
Old 6th December 2012, 01:26 PM   #825
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

I will have to play around with some 25W/25R pots I have and put them in series with my speakers. Fun!
Old 6th December 2012, 01:34 PM   #826
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A length of nichrome wire recycled from that infra red heater you were about to throw away. Slide the "tap" along the wire to adjust the added source resistance.

Yet more unhelpful posts?
Old 6th December 2012, 01:55 PM   #827
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Bradi, Did you use the Mundorf AG caps? They have a significant impact on bass response.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:23 PM   #828
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Are you sure the Onkyo is feeding straight through or is it boosting the bass? Obviously no tone controls on the MyRef.
I have used the full band width option for front speaker in onkyo speaker configuration and kept it in stereo mode and used the audyssey setup configuration. But the sound which i heard may not be boosted, it may be captured or produced in that way in the source.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:29 PM   #829
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I like it very very much. I have a question, so far MyRef has around 50+ hours burn in time. Can I expect more improvement in sound wise after some hours of component burn in?
Since you're using Black Gates, yes.

They change until 500 hours...

Quote:
and used the audyssey setup configuration
this could be the problem, the audissey EQ do equalize....and should optimize frequency response in room.
Old 6th December 2012, 02:31 PM   #830
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Bradi, Did you use the Mundorf AG caps? They have a significant impact on bass response.
Yes I have Mundorf Mlytic caps. And no doubt sound is superb and bass is excellent. I used to have a long listening session. With MyRef I didn't feel tired, no fatigue which I had from Onkyo. This is a particular scenario, the bass which i heard from onkyo in a particular track that I didnt hear from MyRef.

Hide this!Advertise here!