My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So question is- buy cheap or buy fluke. It is always nice to have good equipment which is precise and of good quality. But probably such precision is not required..

Will get VC97 and separate capacitance meter.

Maybe I've been lucky but my VC97 works well, the only aspect I'm not completely satisfied is the capacitance measure but to have really good result a good LCR meter is needed.

Is any of this audible? ...............
It's you lot that are telling the world that cap swapping is audible.
I have for a long time told you repeatedly that this guessing at what to try next is the wrong approach.
Now I give you an example of the scientific "why" to reduce some of the guessing and get better results that more reflect the true changes you are making.
Stop guessing.
Be scientific and make valid comparisons.
You can then tell us if it is audible, or not.

We are NOT looking for reports on why the wiring layout and the parasitics of that wiring, affects the sound.

The 15nF/Sonicap could be the "sweet spot" for an initial trial. Please give it a try and let us know.

I bypassed the sonicaps today. Fist 2 hours listening impressions are very positive
More resolution in treble and deeper 3d soundstage. Upper midrange seems kind of softer too (in a good way). The best part though is that the sound is coherent. It doesnt alter the sound in a way that grabs your attention at first, and then fatigue settles in. I will repot again any changes i subjectively perceive

Bypass Cap Lead Inductance

Capacitor characteristics will surely swamp the extremely minute difference of inductance

Peace,
Tom E

I probably shouldn't add fuel to the fire. I come down on this subject somewhere in the middle. Yes, I believe it is possible to make a nice sounding amp with long capacitor leads, but I appreciate Andrew's stating a good "best practice" regarding high frequency bypass capacitors.

I read an interesting white paper by IBM on the topic of multi-layer boards. I wish I could find it and share, but I seem to have lost it. One of the points made by the IBM paper was that inductance of SMD components on top of the board but connected to a lower layer in a multi-layer board was significant enough to cause stability issues.

Although it is not always possible, I believe that it is directionally correct to minimize the lead inductance of any high frequency cap. Many would be unwilling to take all of the steps that Andrew discussed but we are all trying to things the best way possible.

Jac

Dario do you have the link for Mouser BOM?

Please check the integrity of the BOM link at the beginning of the Group Buy and Beta build. I tried to use it from Texas last week and the link wouldn't work. It could easily have been my screw up or the hotel connection, but just in case.

BOM can be found on the Google Folder of the project, parts on 'Mouser Import' coloumn can then be pasted to Mouser's import tool.

BTW, since some parts are not available at the moment, I've shared a Mouser BOM which includes suitable alternatives. ;)

When it comes down to the system synergy,particularly passive component matching there must be some logic of steps.
If we have 3 units: source, pre and power, each will have passive components carrying sound through the chain and adding specific colouration, which seems to be almost inevitable.
Let's take a factor of brightness of the system (minus speaker specification to simplify ).
Brightness might occur on all 3 parts of the chain (and to simplify again let's assume each part has single passive element, for instance capacitor which impacts sound).
If we have situation with too bright , too rich in treble sound we can have:
source: bright capacitor ?
pre: bright capacitor ?
power : bright capacitor?
Question: on average how would you distribute 100% of total tonal balance among them with biggest number affiliated to the bigger impact having part?

If parts are more or less equal / or averaging is not of big help what would you do then?

My point is, placing one (let's say) true copper to my pre and another one to the FE would result in coherent match or it would multiply frequencies and add colouration ?

Or knowing theoretical qualities of parts builder just mix and match all that complexity for random result?

My point is, placing one (let's say) true copper to my pre and another one to the FE would result in coherent match or it would multiply frequencies and add colouration ?

IMHO no, BTW why do you want to add a cap to the DCB1?

Or knowing theoretical qualities of parts builder just mix and match all that complexity for random result?

In my experience: no

Usually I tend to prefer to use same parts all over the chain.

Nevertheless you should try different parts since sometimes in a particular place different could be better... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.