My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I remember Siva and Dario were exchanging information back then and the concepts were incorporated into the FE.

Yes but our collaboration wasn't about LF01 but compensation.

The LF01 and FE's shunt power supplies reach similar goals (sweetness, soundstage and so on) following different approaches.

Also, remember the relevant functions there are SMD in the new design.... the socket doesn't exist on the FE.

Exactly :)

Hello,

I have My-ref A, the first version by Penasa, and Dario already help me a lot in the past choosing the components :)
I’m thinking about a bi-amplification... but I need two amplifiers that have the same gain because I would like to simplify the work, I am just an hobbyist and very newbie.

Does My-ref A and My-ref FE have the same gain ?
Can I use, for example, My-ref A (or C) for the bass section and My-ref FE for mid and high ? I mean, without changing the gain of the two amplifiers, just with a pot before the amplifiers.

Sorry for the silly question and for my poor poor poor english !!

Bye,

Marco

I'm sure Dario will have more to say, but here's my short and sweet. The big Mundorf caps do wonders for bass extension, clarity and control. The input cap quality has an enormous effect on the entire spectrum - most noticeable in sparkle, derinition and stage depth and separation. If it's in your budget, the Audyn True Copper are worth every penny and the Audyn Plus from Parts Express are a close second IMHO. There was also a quality bump with the Amtrans.

It will take some extra time but reading the beta build thread will give the best understanding of the "tuning" process as the path to find the best components.

EDIT: I also believe there is a direct relationship between the quality and size of one's speakers and the component choices. Some of the more subtle improvements will be masked on smaller or more basic speakers. Personally,I'd recommend a bass driver no less than 6.5 - 8 inches - though designs can vary greatly. The stock BOM will provide excellent sound and might be just fine for many builders.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

Let me add that starting with the standard BOM and upgrading over time works well if a builder wants to approach things with a bit of caution and/or doesn't want to spend what's needed for the higher grade parts initially. There well may be some fresh suggestions from the new final version builders.

Last edited:
What is the difference in BOM's SQ wise ?

In practice there are 3 BOMs:

• an Absolute (Suggested best part), price no object one
  • a standard Full Industrial Mouser BOM (suggested)
  • a 'On a budget' BOM which lower cost at a price in term of performance
Unless money is a real concern I suggest the full industrial Mouser BOM.

Then listen to the amp, if it suits your taste/goals then you can upgrade it with audiophile parts.

One of the veteran MyRef builders (madisonears) has done a lot of work with a bi-amp configuration. Maybe a PM to him might produce some good advice for your project.

Thank you Bob, if I go with bi-amp I will contact Madisonears :)

Yes

Yes, but after a brief listening session you'll prbably want to biamp with FEs only... ;)

That's the problem :rolleyes:
I think that I will start with My-ref A + FE and then I will decide if upgrade with two FE. But I don't know if I will go on with this project... maybe I will simply use My-Ref FE.
Thank you Dario !

Dario's mentioned r core from selectronics is good choice. But I ve been looking into toroidal power and some people say toroidy.pl is very good quality audio grade trannies (as per email: Audio grade transformers with mounting pads:
TS 225VA PRI: 230V SEC: 2x 24V - cost: 47,90 EUR/pc (tax. inc). In audio grade, noiseless transformer price You'll get transformer wound on high inductive, selected and measured core. Core and all the windings will be impregnated. Transformer will also has electric and electromagnetic shields, epoxy filled interior and mounting pads in price.)
Price almost equal.
What would be better then ? R core or top quality toroid ?

I have my doubts about the benefits of the extra shield. It's not a bad thing but I can not perceive any difference when it is, or is not connected in the three builds that have it. The shield might help in an integrated build where there are sensitive components in a compact space, but most likely isn't necessary for a straight power amp.

The only reason I haven't tried an R-Core is the cost of shipping for the larger transformers to the States. If you can get a good price on one of those in the UK, that style (according to Mr. Inserra) produces the cleanest power. I used the smaller R-cores in my DAC and preamp and there is an audible improvement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.