My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 09:48 PM   #461
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

badrisuper, In case you need some help with the AC voltages (I did) please look at this series of posts.

My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Dario is asking about the label on your transformer because it usually has a diagram of the loops on both the in and out sides of the toroid. They need to be positioned relative to "hot" and "return" on the FE.

If you don't have a label you can use the continuity mode (see red arrow) of your VOM to sniff out which pair of wires form a loop inside the transformer. This is done with no power (AC) applied.

The attached PDF gives some examples of the loops/circuits you need to determine.

The drawing shows what I think is your trani. Green shows possible loops that need to be determined.

For safety, please remove the toroid from your build while doing these tests. After the information is gathered, power can be applied to determined the output of each toroid.

These are steps we all had to do/learn so please don't feel this is something you should already know. If there is anything you don't know please ask. We all learn together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (33.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0787.jpg (813.2 KB, 183 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AN-6224.pdf (41.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 8th October 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:54 AM   #462
diyAudio Member

There is a continuity mode with audible beep on your your meter. Green arrow. Using that is a simpler/preferred method. Sorry, a little dense yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0787.jpg (811.9 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 9th October 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
There's no label on the transformer?

Possibly you wired it incorrectly.

Regarding sound It could depend on a lot of things... source, burn-in, some component orientation ( did you turned again R11s?) and so on.

First thing is to have two working modules and listen in stereo
Yes Dario, there is no label in the transformer. Now I solved the transformer issue. Now new issue sprouted out. One board is working fine. But in another one, relay is clicking and switching off repeatedly light is on and off repeatedly. I dont know now what is the issue. Yesterday both board were fine, but now today new issue. Any idea?

Thanks
Badri
Old 9th October 2012, 02:46 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
There is a continuity mode with audible beep on your your meter. Green arrow. Using that is a simpler/preferred method. Sorry, a little dense yesterday.
Thanks bcmbob. I did as you mentioned. New learning. The problem is connectivity issue. Now its solved.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:49 PM   #465
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention after I switch off the power, light is glowing atleast for a second. Any suggestion?
Old 9th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

Your welcome. That sounds like there is still a voltage problem. Are you sure the wiring from both toroids is identical. It is easy to reverse something when all the leads are the same color. I sometimes use a small piece of heatshrink tube or a magic marker to designate "hot". I have made that mistake a couple times. Reversing the red wires on the input side of the non-working assembly toroid might also be an option.

Last edited by bcmbob; 9th October 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:11 PM   #467
diyAudio Member

How I connected for one board, the same way I am connecting for another. But the relay is clicking and switching off repeatedly for one board and for another its working. Shall reverse the wiring? Will it harm the board?

Thanks
Badri
Old 9th October 2012, 03:21 PM   #468
diyAudio Member

The FE power system is a little tricky and sensitive to the relation of hot and ground on both sides of the transformer from my understanding. It was dealt with a bit on this post, but if you can, please post a simple diagram of the loops/circuits on your toroids. It will be easier to determine. Dario can decipher what's best for the FE if he can see what is there.

I meant reversing only the input side wires, not the leads from toroid to amp. I had a similar problem connecting multiple toroids in an integrated build. Take a look backwards to where both transformers branch from a common feed. Hope that makes sense to you.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:30 PM   #469
diyAudio Member

Here is an example. These toroids have both red and black in wires. Easy to tell apart. Yours appear to be all red and can be in the wrong place. I don't know if that is your problem. but the function/polarity of the leads need to be consistent. In the photo all red is to red - all black is to black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Can 1.jpg (92.4 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by bcmbob; 9th October 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10th October 2012, 07:20 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrisuper View Post
Forgot to mention after I switch off the power, light is glowing atleast for a second. Any suggestion?
sounds like I had the same issue! make sure your toroid is connected correctly, check voltage after rectification across PS caps, then check across C102/C202 it should be around 14vdc on both rails, let us know if it's so. If not check R11 if it's shorted.

Hide this!Advertise here!