My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 10:16 AM   #391
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the center gizmo ? Don't recognize it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0278.jpg (6.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 10:32 AM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
BTW, aren't they beautiful?
the one with external heatsinks is superb! I found similar case on ebay and was contemplating to use for the next project - smth from Nelosn's "F" burning amps

Bob, atupi,
installed another pairs of BCs making it 8800uf per rail, unfortunately same bass issue, very noticeable and poor reproduction...
added few pics including my one channel hi-end passive green Alps preamp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (790.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (628.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 11:03 AM   #393
diyAudio Member

All I can see is your R3 variation. What did you do there? Have you tried alternatives at C13?

You probabllly don't want to hear it, but I always go for the published BOM on all my projects even when I know I will upgrade/mod later. For my JC-2 and Mini DAC I bought the kits plus an extra PCB to use for component adjustments. Those with a higher level of expertise may not have to take those precautions - I do.

Also, what led you to suspect the SMD resistors were the cause of the hum problem? I still have hum with active preamps on the RC and none on the beta.

Last edited by bcmbob; 29th September 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:00 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

cheers Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
All I can see is your R3 variation. What did you do there?
I decided to go for DALE 3w 1% 1R resistors (paid 3USD incl delivery for 5pcs) as see no point paying $$$ for Caddocks. DALEs should be definitely better than simple cement ones, so I paralleled them. All in all whether it is Caddock or any other R3, there shouldn't be such huge bass difference as I have now.

Quote:
Have you tried alternatives at C13?
yep, reported several pages ago that no difference has been perceived (my goal was only the bass issue) when using 2x0.47uf Wima mkp. Moreover as I read in this thread that these Russian big ones should give even better bass if compare to some cheaper caps.

Quote:
Also, what led you to suspect the SMD resistors were the cause of the hum problem? I still have hum with active preamps on the RC and none on the beta.
not much, but when I desoldered my accidentally bought Caddocks and replaced the rest of smd resistors with new ones, then replaced Caddocks with Vishay 1% 0.4w resistors and gave it a test run, I heard no hum at all, then I was very curious could it be the Caddocks giving annoying hum, so placed them back one by one and could confirm now that they are dead silent, so the only guess is that some of the smd resistors could be bad or damaged...
Need to say that neither with Vishay, nor with current Caddocks in smd part bass reproduction didn't change.
Anyway I could only hope that using several Caddocks instead of Susumu could only improve the sound of FE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0132.jpg (516.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0133.jpg (709.5 KB, 157 views)
Old 29th September 2012, 12:36 PM   #395
diyAudio Member

O.K. Now you are in territory beyond my pay grade. Maybe the collective gurus will respond.
Old 29th September 2012, 02:41 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Anyway I do appreciate your help and responses, Bob
Old 29th September 2012, 04:51 PM   #397
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up WOW

Quote:
Bob, Jac... you should feel guilty for making me spend 260 in HiFi2000 aluminum chassis...

I've buyed Pesante Dissipante for the Fremen Edition and Slim Line for the DCB1

BTW, aren't they beautiful?
Dario,

I feel totally guilty. It's all my fault. I should punish myself severely.

Truth is, I have just enough metal working ability to make something DIY as a chassis and it won't look 1/10 that good. Very Nice!

Jac
Old 29th September 2012, 05:04 PM   #398
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is the center gizmo ? Don't recognize it.
Take a look here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtses View Post
I decided to go for DALE 3w 1% 1R resistors (paid 3USD incl delivery for 5pcs) as see no point paying $$$ for Caddocks. DALEs should be definitely better than simple cement ones, so I paralleled them. All in all whether it is Caddock or any other R3, there shouldn't be such huge bass difference as I have now.
Sorry but here you're completely wrong, IMHO.

The cement wire resistor is the way to go if you don't want to buy the Caddocks.

Bass performance can be seriously affected by the wrong choices...

Also the Takman REX resistors you used instead of SMD parts can affect seriously bass and timbre in general if used in the wrong direction.

I've tried Takmans on beta boards (both REX and REY) in all positions and none entered the BOM, guess why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
I feel totally guilty. It's all my fault. I should punish myself severely.
Yes, you should...

As Bob's already indicated, I was only waiting something to decide to buy them...
Old 29th September 2012, 07:43 PM   #399
diyAudio Member

hi Dario!

Quote:
The cement wire resistor is the way to go if you don't want to buy the Caddocks.
Bass performance can be seriously affected by the wrong choices...
will check that on the following week. I would be very happy and surprised if R3 swap will bring the bass to normal level.
Quote:
Also the Takman REX resistors you used instead of SMD parts can affect seriously bass and timbre in general if used in the wrong direction.

I've tried Takmans on beta boards (both REX and REY) in all positions and none entered the BOM, guess why...
thanks, Dario! I've noticed the direction and checked it once more time when you mentioned it several pages earlier giving a link to R10 orientation. Anyway I've already tried metal film Vishay 1% there with no success.

As a designer of FE, would you advice to replace these Caddocks to smd resistors if swapping R3 will not help?
Old 29th September 2012, 08:01 PM   #400
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtses View Post
As a designer of FE, would you advice to replace these Caddocks to smd resistors if swapping R3 will not help?
Which Caddocks? I can't see any in your build...

Do a favour to youself and buy Caddocks MP915 for the regulator, it will make a BIG difference in bass performance.

I would suggest to builders to start with one of the two BOMs (full or 'on a budget') and only after trying different parts so it would be possible to make a comparison to a common base.

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 29th September 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!