My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2012, 12:21 AM   #121
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atupi View Post
To me is a bit strange to have that nice metal enclosure and not to benefit of a goos shielding. A will test to see how it sounds with PGNG connected to the enclosure.
If you connect your chassis to safety earth you're using the shield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
The BOM says they should be 50 V. When I put the part number from the BOM into the Mouser website, it comes up as a 35 V cap.
(...)
Just checking, are these OK at 35 volts?
The 35V cap will work perfectly, probably it was specified in bom in place of the 50V one (647-UFW1H221MPD) simply because at the time it was not available.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:34 AM   #122
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Isn't it way passed your bedtime?

Regards
Old 15th August 2012, 07:05 AM   #123
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

35v is perfect!
Old 15th August 2012, 08:43 AM   #124
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Simply, when two bridges are used, the current through each bridge is half of a single bridge for a given load.
no.
the current in each diode bridge of a dual bridge arrangement is exactly the same as the current through a single bridge arrangement.

I don't think there are any sound differences between the two bridge arrangements.
There is a difference in the grounding schematic between the two bridge arrangements.
Old 15th August 2012, 10:25 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Default Double Diode Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
no.
the current in each diode bridge of a dual bridge arrangement is exactly the same as the current through a single bridge arrangement.

I don't think there are any sound differences between the two bridge arrangements.
There is a difference in the grounding schematic between the two bridge arrangements.
Hi Andrew,

I bow to your greater experience. Please help me understand the current flow in the single .vs. double bridge.

My understanding was that the current flow out of the smoothing caps was controlled by the demand of the amplifier. The current into the smoothing caps is the amp demand plus or minus some current flowing in and out of the smoothing caps. If I can assume that the two secondary coils operate independently at the same voltage, then isn't the current through each secondary coil in parallel and about half the total? If that statement is correct, then wouldn't the dual bridge approach flow half the current through each bridge? Just trying to understand.

As for a sound difference from single to double bridge, I am also not sure. I respect the earlier work of Subbura and others, but I will experiment a little to try it myself. I will also study the grounding scheme as I hadn't considered that before.

Thanks for your input. I find these questions very interesting.

Jac
Old 16th August 2012, 02:29 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
I soldered MUR820 in wrong direction. How to desolder it?

Badri
Old 16th August 2012, 02:32 PM   #127
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you install all four and is there any solder on the top of the board?
Old 16th August 2012, 02:39 PM   #128
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't have special tools, this is a method I use on occasion.

Removal of Solder Using Solder Wick - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hpHe...eature=related

Last edited by bcmbob; 16th August 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 16th August 2012, 04:58 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Did you install all four and is there any solder on the top of the board?
No. I reversed the direction for only one. I have that wick. I will try to desolder it.

Thanks Bob.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:53 PM   #130
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
Please help me understand the current flow in the single .vs. double bridge.
Hi Jac,

Andrew is right on this, diodes see the same current no matter which way.

I used to be an advocator of dual bridge, but after really thinking it through, analysing it in spice, and finally measuring its properties (a current clamp is a nice tool) I decided for myself there is essentially zero benefit, in the end. It can be even more sensitive to supply noise issues (leakage current paths get chopped, modulated by diode conduction timings, unless one takes special measures) than a single bridge.

As for wiring/layout advantages, think of the PSU as a black box with a break-out cable with a 3 pin plug (pos/neg/gnd) and a socket right at the point of load. It obviously cannot make any difference whether there are three or more than three conductors in the cable, unless I'm missing something... the actual "cable" embodiment is of great importance of course, same for the bridges and caps wiring (strive for lowest loop area, mainly) as well as aditional components (snubbers & filters)

Hide this!Advertise here!