My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 119 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2013, 08:58 AM   #1181
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.veneri View Post
Thank you Dario for the tutorial.
Maybe you could add some hint to clean the board from flux after smd soldering.
Good idea, Benedetto.

But, maybe, you should have posted it on the new thread...
Old 13th April 2013, 11:50 AM   #1182
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Good idea, Benedetto.

But, maybe, you should have posted it on the new thread...
You're absolutely right
Old 13th April 2014, 03:53 PM   #1183
diyAudio Member

Default Audyn True Copper

Hi!

I see that some of you have tried the Audyn True Copper, and that ClaveFremen really liked it. But in a post in february, he claimed that OCC Copper is the best - what cap is that? (Orange County Chopper?

I intend to use use 1,5uF True Copper with 0,022uF russian teflon FT-1 for my Lehmann BCL clone. May that be a good synergy?

How about the value of the Audyn TC, is it well worth its price?

Also, Ive heard people saying the TC will not need so much burn in, less than 50 hours is ok - and it will not change any much in the sound.

And for the signal direction for TC, is there a "right way" for it? The manufacturer Intertehnik say it should go the same way as the text of the housing.

Best regards: Mikael Markstrom
Old 14th April 2014, 07:48 PM   #1184
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelmark View Post
Hi!

I see that some of you have tried the Audyn True Copper, and that ClaveFremen really liked it. But in a post in february, he claimed that OCC Copper is the best - what cap is that? (Orange County Chopper?

I intend to use use 1,5uF True Copper with 0,022uF russian teflon FT-1 for my Lehmann BCL clone. May that be a good synergy?

How about the value of the Audyn TC, is it well worth its price?

Also, Ive heard people saying the TC will not need so much burn in, less than 50 hours is ok - and it will not change any much in the sound.

And for the signal direction for TC, is there a "right way" for it? The manufacturer Intertehnik say it should go the same way as the text of the housing.

Best regards: Mikael Markstrom
Hi Mikael,

Although there a lots of guys on the My_Ref forums that have tried and liked the Audyn TC, you need to be aware that there are two TCs that I understand sound a little different. The earlier blue color TC was the one that many liked and thought very neutral. The later copper colored TC is said to sound good, but a little different.

On a different thread, Dario (ClaveFremen) just posted that he currently likes the Mundorf Supreme, but I will let him comment on the difference. I'm in the process of trying a Supreme myself and it is a nice cap. If you like the Supreme, it has the advantage of lower cost.

As for me, I borrowed a blue TC almost two year ago, but it was early in my cap listening, so I won't try to comment too much. My one thought is that I doubt that you will need the teflon bypass cap with the TC. It has nice detail and soundstage with a nice sparkle on top. You should know that I'm a guy that likes to use bypass caps and I still don't think it's needed with these.

Have fun.

Jac
Old 14th April 2014, 08:18 PM   #1185
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I see that some of you have tried the Audyn True Copper, and that ClaveFremen really liked it.
Initially, to my ears they tend to over-emphasize detail, adding a touch of harshness.

I prefer Mundorf Supreme now.

Quote:
But in a post in february, he claimed that OCC Copper is the best - what cap is that? (Orange County Chopper?
OCC (Ohno Continuous Cast) is a type of metal processing and apply mainly to copper and silver.

Obviously it's not a capacitor...

Quote:
Sure, as all wound caps the outer foil determine a preferred direction.

Sadly the blue TCs I've tryed had no consistent marking... one had the outer foil toward markings and the other the opposite.

PS
This is an old thread....
Old 16th April 2014, 04:59 PM   #1186
diyAudio Member

Might be an old thread, but I can't let this go without comment.

Dario, you "initially" thought the TC cap was the best you had heard, made it the preferred cap for the MyRef, and designed your PCB to accommodate it. It was only after some time that you came to believe it is harsh with too much detail. I can understand changing your mind about a component after listening to it for a long time, but you are the only person I have ever seen make that evaluation of the TC.

I agree that Mundorf capacitors have some excellent sonic qualities, but sometimes I think one factor that strongly impresses people is the word "MUNDORF" on the label. It's hard to believe that an aluminized plastic cap sounds better than a true film and copper foil. I have tried the Mundorf Silver/Oil cap in the MyRef C, and it is not the equal of the TC. Perhaps the Supreme is more balanced than the slight treble emphasis of the S/O.

Peace,
Tom E
Old 16th April 2014, 07:21 PM   #1187
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonears View Post
Might be an old thread, but I can't let this go without comment. (...) but you are the only person I have ever seen make that evaluation of the TC.
Hi Tom,

nevertheless it's my present opinion, so if someone is quoting a previous opinion of mine I've changed my mind about I have to report it.
Old 16th April 2014, 08:16 PM   #1188
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

As much as I hate to admit it, I lean toward believing there is credibility in how age impacts hearing. Recently I did a slow sweep test for myself and lost the signal around 15 K. Dario - being just a mere babe in the woods - may be experiencing a wider spectrum.

I think that's another reason to individually tweak an amp build to "what sounds best" and not get stuck on what a lab/scope or other's experience might suggest. We "old dudes" may need a brighter set to get to what we feel is the sweet spot.
Old 16th April 2014, 09:01 PM   #1189
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Recently I did a slow sweep test for myself and lost the signal around 15 K. Dario - being just a mere babe in the woods - may be experiencing a wider spectrum.
At 42 I'm not exactly a baby...

BTW I've also did recently a earing test on the web and I can barely hear 17 KHz
Old 16th April 2014, 09:40 PM   #1190
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

We all should have been doing this back when we were in our teens. Maybe next time around.

Hide this!Advertise here!