My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2012, 05:36 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Andrew
That makes sense. The body is really small.
Old 13th August 2012, 07:20 PM   #102
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Would I be ok to use 1R37 Holco in place of 1R for R11.Tia Marra
Old 13th August 2012, 07:34 PM   #103
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

I forgot to order the C34 (27pf) SMD and i must choose between installing some cheap ceramic smd or silver mica caps (non-smd) from PCX that i already have in my drawer.
What would be the right choice ?

Last edited by atupi; 13th August 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 13th August 2012, 08:04 PM   #104
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atupi View Post
I must choose between installing some cheap ceramic smd or silver mica caps (non-smd) from PCX that i already have in my drawer.
What would be the right choice ?
I would install 0805 C0G ceramics, pads are too small to solder TH SM, IMHO.
Old 13th August 2012, 08:06 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

No problem for me to solder a silver mica but will look ugly on the pcb.
Old 13th August 2012, 09:50 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No problem for me to solder a silver mica but will look ugly on the pcb.
True, but it is on the bottom. When you show off your beautiful amp to your friends by removing the cover, they will never see it.

It is ironic. I ordered the wrong caps for C10 and got 33 pF SMD mica caps instead. No way to solder the little SMD caps to the TH, so I'm off to Mouser again. I wish these 33 pF SMD would help you, but they are the wrong value and I sense you are in a hurry.

Have fun.

Jac
Old 13th August 2012, 09:59 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Hurry but not so hurry as i discovered that my Lm318's that i already had and not ordered from Mouser is the TI version not National version so i will call tomorrow some stores to see if they stock the National version.
Also i wait for my Mlityc's Ag because i found it at a very good price 12,7EU/pc and ordered 4.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:25 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Red face Power Supply Diodes

This only proves that I don't really pay attention to something until I try to build it.

Dario,

Please give me your thoughts. Why did you choose to use two AC inputs, each with their own diode bridge, but both feeding one pair of smoothing capacitors? What is the understood benefit of 2? Is there a load condition or frequency range that has a bigger advantage?

Thank you in advance. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but long before I arrived.

Jac
Old 13th August 2012, 10:54 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hurry but not so hurry as i discovered that my Lm318's that i already had and not ordered from Mouser is the TI version not National version so i will call tomorrow some stores to see if they stock the National version.
Also i wait for my Mlityc's Ag because i found it at a very good price 12,7EU/pc and ordered 4.
Does it matter that it is a TI version? I would have thought an lm318d is the same between National and TI.

Nice deal on the AGs.

Jac
Old 14th August 2012, 12:39 AM   #110
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
Please give me your thoughts. Why did you choose to use two AC inputs, each with their own diode bridge, but both feeding one pair of smoothing capacitors? What is the understood benefit of 2? Is there a load condition or frequency range that has a bigger advantage?
I didn't any experiment, in this case I've simply used the most used topology in gainclones following Suburra's suggestion.

According Suburra the double rectifier gives a bigger soundstage and more refinement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
Does it matter that it is a TI version? I would have thought an lm318d is the same between National and TI.
No, they're not the same.

Both works but Penasa optimized the compensation on the NS one and strongly suggests use of NS parts.

Hide this!Advertise here!