My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread - Page 108 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 07:15 PM   #1071
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Interested to know in what year that comment was made ???
Old 1st April 2013, 07:41 PM   #1072
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
Apparently recently, Bob. I have his book and just stumbled upon forthcoming new edition discussion. Cannot add anything myself to it, just gonna read it and that's it.
if it is not right comment in right place please disregard it
Old 1st April 2013, 07:44 PM   #1073
diyAudio Member

I have seen quite few not too favourable opinions about chip amps, but it does not put me off this project.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:11 PM   #1074
diyAudio Member

No, your comment is fine here. Unfortunately many confuse a traditional "chipamp" with an amplifier designed around a chip. The differences in parts count alone should be a clear indication they are not the same. As I'm sure you are aware, I did a head to head between the FE RC and a $5000 tube amp. They were very similar. I'll do another with the final version and bet they will be almost indistinguishable.

Since I have also been playing around in the Pass/discrete world, IMHO there are some sonic signatures unique to each approach. That's not necessarily a measure of quality - more a personal preference.

From my perch, I might lean toward discrete/tube for some classical music and a MyRef for everything else. However, the speed and dynamics of the FEs really enhance big orchestral works
Old 1st April 2013, 08:20 PM   #1075
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I am after the dynamics and speed !
My (not so) reference commercial amp is Cyrus, UK.
They have such nice attacking sound I would be very happy to get one from FE.

I want to twist some speaker wires BTW, now I have Blue Jeans cable. I know you have this accomplished. Question- where did you get this shielded cable from ?
Old 1st April 2013, 08:46 PM   #1076
diyAudio Member

Not shielded - self shielding with the interweave. Jac has started a pair and I'm looking forward to his review.

DIY CAT5 Speaker Cables.
Old 1st April 2013, 08:50 PM   #1077
diyAudio Member

OK Thanx

Must be good fun to do what
My grandma would be good help though
Old 1st April 2013, 09:45 PM   #1078
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
I find them unreliable- even now, apparently reputable manufacturers will produce whole batches that fail quickly, though not quickly enough to be caught during test. A nightmare.

What do you think about it, Dario ?
Nothing, at all...

Maybe I've been lucky so far but never had a single LM3386 failure not due to abuse (like static, repeated soldering/desoldering or insufficient heat dissipation).
Old 1st April 2013, 09:45 PM   #1079
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

I made a pair of these last fall and they definitely have a unique sound to them. When paired with my audiosector lm4780 integrated and ess amt monitors they sound great. With the same amp and my klipsch kg4s I get a little hiss. I have been using the kg4s more lately so I have not listened with them in a while. I guess I need to try to figure out the cause of this too.

I think Dario recommended a low capacitance cable iirc, correct me if im wrong.

I will probably audition these with the FE if for no other reason to see if hiss is present here with the kgs too. I would love to be able to use these as they do sound great. And yes it is worth the effort, although your fingers will pay the price.

And you will get strange looks and comments from anyone who sees you braiding tiny wire together for a week or two
Old 2nd April 2013, 01:06 AM   #1080
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Not shielded - self shielding with the interweave. Jac has started a pair and I'm looking forward to his review.
Bob,

Do I recall correctly that you liked the sound of the CAT5 cables with the FE and your Sunflower speakers? I agree that the speakers may make a lot of difference since according to VH Audio, the braided speakers end up as low inductance and mid- capacitance.

Actually, I'm going to try something a little different. The VH Audio braids are 27 strand, 10 gauge wires. For the short runs I am planning (4 feet for the subwoofer and 2 feet for the satellites), I really don't need 10 gauge. I will try using 9 strands (3x3) for about 14.5 gauge. That should be low enough resistance and keep the inductance and capacitance down. At 14.5 gauge, the resistance of 4 feet is only 0.3 % of my speakers minimum impedance, so it should be low enough resistance.

Jac

Hide this!Advertise here!