Old school aluminum heat sink eclipse ea4100, powers halfway up, suspect short. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Old school aluminum heat sink eclipse ea4100, powers halfway up, suspect short.

I've been referred to this site by BeatsDownLow on the diymobileaudio site.
Was told to look for Perry Babin. I'll go ahead and pm him and direct him towards this thread. I've somewhat consolidated the information given on the other site and reposted it in whole here:

So... Here is the layout of my unusually broken amp...

For the life of me I can NOT find a service manual or any other info on the eclipse ea4100 amp, or somewhat similar model amp...

This amp was bought from a pawn shop, broken. This leads me to believe that the amp was sold to the pawn shop working (they only take working amps) and this amp was damaged by someone using improper installation methods. Either reversing the leads, or using incorrect speakers with too little ohms. Or somehow shorting the wires in any combination that you could think of. Then somehow returned to the pawn shop.

The power light, and the protection light do not turn on. The fuse is fine. And there is a good amount of current running through-out the amp.

I am running this amp with the heat sinks attached.

I'm using a 12v car battery charger at 2 amps to test this amp. While running this amp, the battery charger will shut off every 20 minutes, but while using a much stronger amp (1600 watts) the charger will NEVER turn off. (This means broken amp has a Short?)

Using audio cables to a powered amplifier I can trace the input audio through some circuits that normally wont let me trace through unless the power is on, this tells me that most of the amp gets power, all the amplifier transistors show signs of current, even the small ones that power the input circuit. However there is a certain section of circuits that I am SURE should be emitting audio yet do not.

A low hum emits from the speaker no matter what channel I put it on, this I suspect comes from the A/C batter charger. (amplifying stage seems to work?)

The main power circuit is active and appears to be working just fine.

The beginning of the audio input appears to be working fine, can trace audio a little further if power is turned on, but still eventually disappears.

The first set of power transistors gets very hot (mains?), the second set is warm(secondary?). the last four transistors are for the actual amplifying I suspect, and only the last one of the four gets VERY hot.

Please note, I've run 1600 and 2200 watt amps on my battery charger which goes up to 2-6 amps for testing and verification that the amps work. (It was suggested the charger is not strong enough to test this 400 watt amp)

Any ideas for testing? I have somewhat firgured out each area of the amp. I have a voltage/ohms tester and a amplified audio speaker for tracing the sound path.
Old 28th July 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump?

Hide this!Advertise here!