Which chip amp can play sweet sound, need your experience - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2012, 05:48 AM   #1
ataul is offline ataul  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Which chip amp can play sweet sound, need your experience

Hi friends

I want to build an active crossover sound system with chip amp for my living room. I know others discrete or tube amp sounds better then chip amp but chip amp is easy to build and compact and some chip amp sounds really good.I am puzzling to select by which chip amp i can starting. I have already in my junk box LM3886, LM1876,TDA2009A,or i can manage any part no.
Old 25th July 2012, 05:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Sweet sound is more a function of the layout - I have experience with LM3886, LM1876 and others - they can all perform well so long as the circuit and layout are done right. So decide how much power you want and choose accordingly.
Old 25th July 2012, 05:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Sweet sound is more a function of the layout - I have experience with LM3886, LM1876 and others - they can all perform well so long as the circuit and layout are done right. So decide how much power you want and choose accordingly.
Thanks for quick reply Mr abraxalito. My need between 30 to 100w/Ch. LM3886 have many lay out in the internet can u suggest me which one can i picked up?

Last edited by ataul; 25th July 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 25th July 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Suggest you look at AudioSector (Peter Daniels) - from looking at layouts, his look to be the best. But I think he uses LM3876 so perhaps small changes might be needed.
Old 26th July 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

*Can" play sweet sound? All of them. Easiest to tune any way you like including sweet sound? LM1875.

My favorite trick is LM1875 Parallel driving a double woofer (4 ohm) speaker such as an MTM. That gets you the power for realism, the big current and the impact (that sort of speaker also gives lower LE figure for half the peakish and a half price inductor) and you still got to use the easiest chip for nice sound. If there was a quick pat answer for easy economical high fidelity audio, that's it.
Old 26th July 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

lm3886s sound lovely in the Linkwitz Pluto 2.1. bridged on the bass/mid, single unit for the treble.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The LM1875 comes closest to a "tube" like sound, the LM3886 closer to a "solid state" sound. However you can change it to a partial current feed and then is sounds like a tube amplifier without the distortion. What do you want the sound to sound like and how loud do you want to go? Stating 30 - 100 Watt without knowing your music, loudness requirements and what speakers you are going to drive is not enough information to give advice.
Old 27th July 2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I would run a LM4780 in Parallel to get plenty of power from a single chip.
LM4780 has two LM3886's on board.
You should easily be able to get 100W out of that.
Old 29th July 2012, 07:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einric View Post
I would run a LM4780 in Parallel to get plenty of power from a single chip.
LM4780 has two LM3886's on board.
You should easily be able to get 100W out of that.
Einric, thank u first to reply, i think high power is not necessary for sweet sound reproduction.To reproduction of sweet sound needs others things,what is the others things and where i will get it that is the question.Why some amp sounds sweet? what is the magic behind this?
Old 29th July 2012, 08:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
*Can" play sweet sound? All of them. Easiest to tune any way you like including sweet sound? LM1875.

My favorite trick is LM1875 Parallel driving a double woofer (4 ohm) speaker such as an MTM. That gets you the power for realism, the big current and the impact (that sort of speaker also gives lower LE figure for half the peakish and a half price inductor) and you still got to use the easiest chip for nice sound. If there was a quick pat answer for easy economical high fidelity audio, that's it.
Daniel,At least 10years back i tried with this LM1875 that was nothing special I remembered that sound was very clean but something missing.Yes i have played that amp one to one and half year.not bad it was!! but i remembered that little noisy TDA2030A was my good feverish.TDA2030A sounds like crispy but no magic.TDA 2009 have some magic of sweetness in 8Ohm load but very low power, only 6+6 watts into 8Ohm.
I have old Chario Cinthear tower speaker, three way. Dome tweeter and 6.5 Inch mid band is front facing and another 6.5 inch low band is floor firing bass reflex. deliver true flat sound. bass is no deep
I want to go for active crossover system.

Last edited by ataul; 29th July 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!