Snubberized LM338 regulated PSU problem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know if this is relevant, but I did not have the required resistor values for a couple of the positions and put two 1/4w metal films in series. Would this give them more power handling? (I think not?)

I would need to open up one of my amps to see which ones these are and to measure the reg modules. If you would like me to do this I will.

Rob.
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:36 PM   #12
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Rob but I don't think the resistors are the problem. Much more likely it's the start up as abraxalito has suggested. What traffo are you using (I seem to remember it was a 250VA)? Mine is a 400VA and I am wondering if that is the vital difference between our two circuits. I know that some recommend a soft-start for anything over 300VA.
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

My tranny is no more than 180VA (from memory)
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So I wonder if that IS the crucial factor?

Another thought I had is that when I tested the regulator circuit, and then the amp for the first time, I used a light-bulb tester. It was when I removed the tester to play music that things went wrong.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:57 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuk View Post
Do you mean as in the top of bottom diagram?
Yes, the top one is what I meant.

The bottom one is useful if you can't afford the voltage drop of the series R but it still lets HF noise pass through the regulator unchecked. If you were to use this case the R should be a normal carbon or metal film, not wirewound. It doesn't need to dissipate much power.

Using the lightbulb in series with the input slows down the voltage rise considerably - it would most likely prevent the condition where over 40V appears across the reg.
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks again. It looks as if I would need to build in a soft-start to use this traffo with the LM338's.
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:23 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
You could try something a bit simpler - like a zener diode across the regulator. Say a 1.3W type, 33V. I have no experience of such solutions, but it sounds like it might be worth a try to limit the transient overvoltage.
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

When you say "across the regulator" do you mean across the input and output pins?
Old 23rd July 2012, 08:32 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's the idea. With a zener between reg 'in' and reg 'out' the output can't easily get more than 33V below the input. The zener voltage could even be much lower, like 12V. Just you'll blow the zener very quickly if you short the output, and the reg may follow very shortly after...
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:22 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Just remembered

I use a soft start on my monoblocks (relay triggered)

EDIT: Not speaker protection as originally posted. LS are not wired to it.

Last edited by Puffin; 23rd July 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!