Snubberized LM338 regulated PSU problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could try something a bit simpler - like a zener diode across the regulator. Say a 1.3W type, 33V. I have no experience of such solutions, but it sounds like it might be worth a try to limit the transient overvoltage.

Am I correct in assuming that the zener goes across the input/output the opposite way round to the protection diode, ie cathode to output?

When you say "across the regulator" do you mean across the input and output pins?

Do you have the protection diodes that are required if you're having large capacitance on either side of regulator.
I have built LM338 based regulators and still use them running from a 0-30,0-30 - 330 VA trafo with no soft start.
If you do not have the protection diodes the capacitors will discharge through low current paths of LM338 destroying the regulator, this is more likely to happen at switch off.

Do you have the protection diodes that are required if you're having large capacitance on either side of regulator.
I have built LM338 based regulators and still use them running from a 0-30,0-30 - 330 VA trafo with no soft start.
If you do not have the protection diodes the capacitors will discharge through low current paths of LM338 destroying the regulator, this is more likely to happen at switch off.

Yes, I had both protection diodes fitted from the start. I've now removed the one from input to output, and replaced it with a 27 volt zener as abraxalito suggested. When it's cooler, I'll cobble in the 0R22's and re-test.

BTW what VA is your traffo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.