Need help getting started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a guitar amplifier that could drive two 8 or 16 ohm speakers Like the title suggests, I haven't had much experience building amps, just a small single circuit guitar practice amp so far. Can anyone suggest some kits that would work for this, and what supplies I would need to construct the amp start to finish? I have been researching the LM3886, would that accomplish what I am trying to do? Thanks for the help!

A tube amplifier build and a solid state build are two different animals...

Many tube amps use point to point wiring and turret boards where solid state amps generally use a pcb. Point to Point is going to use a different set of skills than soldering a pcb, probably more difficult but if you go slowly and carefully and follow the instructions there is no reason even a newbie couldn't build one successfully.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice, I was talking to one of the technicians at Carvin who had experience doing this kind of thing today and he told me I should get cheap tubes at first because they were likely to blow often. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'd really not have to deal with constantly replacing the tubes.

Thanks again!

Tubes shouldn't blow often. What causes a tube to die prematurely is usually too much heater voltage and/or plate voltage so making sure your power supply is putting out the correct voltages before connecting it to the amp will greatly cut down the chances of this happening. Of course accidents do happen.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.