Help me choose which of these amps for ribbon tweeter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuk View Post
Somebody asked for advice and I offered mine based on my own experience (not hearsay).
Do you know what "hearsay" means?

If so, please explain how "confirmed to me by a designer ***" is not hearsay.

Also, in giving advice one should really consider if one's "experience" is relevant. Here, it really seems like the experience on which you're basing your incorrect and wrong-headed advice is completely out of the scope of the question. I'll leave it to you to figure out why it's out of the scope of the question, though if you're not sure just ask and I'll tell you.

Last edited by Pallas; 19th July 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Somebody asked for advice and I offered mine based on my own experience (not hearsay). I didn't realise that this forum had turned into the Spanish Inquisition since I was last here!

Nobody ever expects them.
Old 20th July 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
Do you know what "hearsay" means?

If so, please explain how "confirmed to me by a designer ***" is not hearsay.

Also, in giving advice one should really consider if one's "experience" is relevant. Here, it really seems like the experience on which you're basing your incorrect and wrong-headed advice is completely out of the scope of the question. I'll leave it to you to figure out why it's out of the scope of the question, though if you're not sure just ask and I'll tell you.
If I had been told by somebody that class D amps don't work well with class AB/A amps and had no experience of that, it would be hearsay. If I find that from my own experience they don't mix, then it is not hearsay, and the information given by the designer is not hearsay but confirmation.

The OP asked for advice about amps for multi-amping his OB's. I have OB's and multi-amp, and offered him my advice accordingly. I was not forcing him to take my advice, not trying to sell him anything, or do him harm.

Instead of coming across as 'holier than thou' why not explain your comment:

Quote:
(Though I think there actually may be something to your assertion. It's just not what you think it is, and what is actually makes entirely irrelevant to this case.)
PS I am not sure what 'wrong-headed' means.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:36 PM   #14
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you could elaborate on the exact problems you encountered, their underlying technical basis and how that relates to mixing different classes of operation.

I have to agree that vague and unexplained statements like "messes with the phase" are a bit hard to take seriously.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:44 PM   #15
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS I am not sure what 'wrong-headed' means.
According to the dictionary:
Wrongheaded - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Old 9th August 2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I could not get a smooth response from my speakers using a class AB amp with a class-T amp where I did get one by replacing the class-T amp with another class AB amp. That's to say that there was a dip around the crossover point that I couldn't get rid of.

I am sorry that I can not be more explicit than that as I am an experienced hobbyist rather than a professional with the appropriate training/vocabulary etc.

So - is anybody who has an opinion and doesn't change that opinion at the first sign of opposition wrong headed? The definition of wrong-headed in the Cambridge dictionary says:

"based on ideas or judgments which are not suitable for a particular situation"

Surely my experience of bi-amping open-baffle speakers is exactly what the OP was asking about so my judgements are suitable for this particular situation.

Anyway, I joined this forum to get advice and offer it, not get involved with semantics (which is pretty pointless when we come from countries speaking different languages). I've offered advice based on my experience and the OP is of course totally free to heed it, or not. There are those who would advise us to stick with the same make/model of amp for multi-amping purposes anyway.
Old 9th August 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

60W or so into a 92dB/W @ 1m tweeter should give adequate volume for 2m to 3m listening distance.
If the sensitivity is really as bad as that 87dB figure you quoted, then you may need a much more powerful amplifier, probably approaching or even exceeding that 150W stated in the specification.
A tweeter handles peaks. It's those peaks that must not be clipped for a clean sound.

Last edited by AndrewT; 9th August 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I could not get a smooth response from my speakers using a class AB amp with a class-T amp where I did get one by replacing the class-T amp with another class AB amp. That's to say that there was a dip around the crossover point that I couldn't get rid of.
There are a lot of class D amps out there that perform (much) better than those class-T amps. One that comes to mind is Hypex Ncore / UCD.

Some background info: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

Bit more expensive tough...
Old 9th August 2012, 01:26 PM   #19
NiToNi is offline NiToNi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyway, I joined this forum to get advice and offer it, not get involved with semantics (which is pretty pointless when we come from countries speaking different languages). I've offered advice based on my experience and the OP is of course totally free to heed it, or not.
Nuuk, I do appreciate your advice and I know what you are trying to say about Class D amps having a somewhat "phasey" character. I experienced something similar when I switched out my ICEpower 1000ASP for Bryston SST-28B driving my VA Mahler in my main system, although I could not put the finger on what is exactly "wrong" with the sound of the former, just a sensation....

Andrew, thanks. So you do not think another KT88 amp (2 x KT88 per channel) would be enough then, which is the latest idea I've been playing around with?
Old 7th November 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
NiToNi is offline NiToNi  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does anyone make dedicated SE tube amps with small transformers for tweeters only...?

Hide this!Advertise here!