newby help for ta2020 chip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wanting to try assembling an Amp from this chip .
No.. I don't have a PCB :eek: But have nothing against using point to point wiring... space is not an issue.
Where can I be directed to the chip pinouts and schematics for building my 2020 amp?
Or is that asking perhaps a too much?
thanks

Brilliant!
Gentlemen .. thank you.
Wasn't fixated on point to point, but it works well for a quick build up where space compression is not the primary criteria.
Now I can study these while awaiting HK post. The chip is $5 delivered (alegedly worldwide) by the way :) . I can post the vendor address if someone wants it
ps; Did the search 'thing' several times, with small results.

Last edited:
90% of info you need is in the datasheet tbh as it shows a schematic + design guide.

I redesigned it to use smt components where possible (for optimal placement) in Altium and came up with a two layer prototype PCB. I also wound some multilayer inductors for the outputs as air-cored are supposedly better.

I will pass on as much info when I get back into work & if I forget, badger me with a PM kick in the bum-cheeks.

Get these little puppies right and you won't be disappointed with the results!

Andy

As promised, schematic:
TA2020.jpg

Altium allows for 3D viewing of PCB and components (if modelled):
TA2020-PCB01.jpg

Use of SMT components in this case allows for placement exactly where needed with minimum track lengths:
TA2020-PCB02.jpg

GL with that then,

A

Great! thank you for that information.
Looks Daunting.
Sadly I don't posses an SMD oven so Tiny surface mount bits are a non starter.
No matter, it's erm...problematic... to use smd's with point to point wiring:)
While here I'm wondering IF this 2020 Type amp is suitable as a HF amp in an active crossover (a bespoke design) setup for my Tannoy Monitor Golds??
LF pretty well demands a 20+ Amp capable amplifier so that's clearly not a suitable fitment.
But HF use is possible?.. Or not?? Opinions/advise?

OK :) I did have to solder on 12! very tiny and surprisingly pricey Op amps during my Active Crossover project. I did manage however and they do work.
Eye strain and stress I'm not keen to replicate though :)

Now to amass the parts for your circuit drawing.. of which I Thank You again for.

I'm readying to assemble this diy Project.. However I'm a bit confused by the differences and added complexities on the yellow diagram, as opposed to the Datasheet circuitry.
Could you help me figure this out?
There are few star grounding looking diagrams But I've not deduced how/what let alone where they connect to the chip :eek:
Also the appendages to Pin 11 confuse.
As well as the wee bit of circuit adrift on the right of the diagram, which has a yellow LED. OR.. what the red led does
Or for that matter I'm finding it difficult to deduce where the Power switch and green LED connect to on the Chip.

Yes a newbie.. just needing a wee bit of hand holding... I hope.

Last edited:
I'm readying to assemble this diy Project.. However I'm a bit confused by the differences and added complexities on the yellow diagram, as opposed to the Datasheet circuitry.
Could you help me figure this out?
The 'yellow diagram' is the chip - it's just the way I chose to draw it to aid my memory when designing the schematic - just ignore what I've drawn inside the yellow block for your point to point wiring.

There are few star grounding looking diagrams But I've not deduced how/what let alone where they connect to the chip
*see below

Also the appendages to Pin 11 confuse. As well as the wee bit of circuit adrift on the right of the diagram, which has a yellow LED. OR.. what the red led does
The circuitry to the right of pin11 holds the chip off if the power supply rail is too low, i.e. below 12V-ish. You don't have to have it.

The RED led is driven from the IC - goes on when it detects a fault (over-load).

Or for that matter I'm finding it difficult to deduce where the Power switch and green LED connect to on the Chip.
* from the star points.
Star points - not the easiest thing to do in a PCB design package, but at the end of the day they are simply lumps of copper where things get connected to - a common point of soldering if you like.
The way I have employed star points here is to force the layout of the PCB. What I was trying to achieve is that C20,21,26,27 get connected across pins 22 & 19, C22,23,24,25 get connected across pins 25 & 28 thus providing local power supplies directly to the pins where needed. Then 13.5V and GND get wired to where-ever needed.

Yes a newbie.. just needing a wee bit of hand holding... I hope.
Yes, just a wee bit of soldering at the end of the day.

Good info thanks.. All seems explained more or less :eek:.
I am mildly familiar with star ground setups.
What Confuses me still..is Where the wires that terminate at the star/collective ground points... come from.
These are shown as vignettes of a cluster of wires surrounding a starfish ground point.. several of them :eek:

Did find a source for DIY 2 sided PCBs, and the Datasheet has artwork, but I've also seen a few point to point assemblies and these seem simple enough..to view at least. IF I can keep track of the wires/connections.

What Confuses me still..is Where the wires that terminate at the star/collective ground points... come from.
These are shown as vignettes of a cluster of wires surrounding a starfish ground point.. several of them
Yes, I see your confusion! But it's just the way I've drawn my schematic symbol for a star point connection - as a star!

Basically there are only 2 star points, one is GND (0V) and the other +13.5V - all ground connections come from GND, all positive connections from +13.5V (apart from the chip generated 5V supply of course).

Where they come from? Up to you really! Could be 2 suitable points in mid-air, two blobs of solder if you get my meaning or 2 binding posts, again suitably positioned mid way between the two capacitor banks.

Apologies for the confusing schematic... it made sense to me at the time!! :)

Andy

Ahhh A bit clearer now will take a carefull look though.
No, not your fault at all. I assumed it's a drawing convention, which makes perfect sense to all.. who should be familiar enough with circuit drawings to work with them.
Still pedalling hard to get up to speed :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.