Bonzai CMOY.. Dead on One Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all,
I am not sure what is going wrong here but I will explain:

Built the CMOY and everything seemed to be working well. Of course I needed to get this into the case and somehow in my late night session which was two parts over training (cycling), and lack of sleep I put the opamp in backwards. Needless to say that didn't last long with smoke included...

New OPAMPS in now I get one side dead and other channel very very very low with just a hint of audible sound.
Checked caps one was dead so I changed them both just to be sure (matching).

Still a no go.
Doing power checks it seems one side with a battery work but the other nothing.

Ran through all resistors and they seem to be measuring correctly also.
I am pretty much at a loss here what is up but I suspect in power supply??

So measurements are:
with the one battery I am getting the LED working and on
pins 8 a voltage around 6 volts
pin 4 about the same -6volts

With two batteries its the same power reading however the second battery is placing power into the circuit as the cap is getting charged.

Hallo,
is it one of these: ebay?

If I understand it right, with one battery, you get a positive and a negative voltage on the supply pins versus ground? I have no experience with this particular kit, but I would say, maybe you wired the battery wrongly.

If done right, the batteries are joint in the middle, this creates your 0V-reference. (as shown in the provided link) Than the free positive connector of the two batteries is connected to the positive supply pin. The same for negative connector and negative supply pin.

If you had wired it right, and connect only one battery, you should see only one supply voltage (positive or negative versus ground) at one of the pins. Can you check this?

Battery is wired correctly and same with caps. In that regard it is pretty straight forwards so after 100 times checking its the same. No shorts on battery or caps either.

I am pretty much getting to the point on this and just tearing it apart and rebuilding on my own board. :D

If your batterys are wired correctly, there are not many options what can go wrong because there are not many parts from the battery to the op amp.

If your opamp isn not yet taken out, take it out now.
I guess you can measure proper voltages at the battery contacts alone (the two contacts to form the center 0V should be joined and the other two contact schould be disconncted)

when you have the right voltages there, try to connect them individually. you schould see 9 volts (or -9 volts) at the supply pins. if not maybe the electrolytic cap for decoupling has a short. try to replace this one first before disassembling everything.

Checked the caps, even with out caps I should still get the correct voltages..
Took the whole thing apart to double check for cold joints etc. Must be something got killed on the actual board so I write this off.
It would be nice if there was specific areas to test but I guess I will just build it back up on a bread board, which I should have done in the first place. This actual kit is a bit crap in its layout where you are supposed to solder caps and battery leads on a set of jumpers.

Money wasted lesson learned on this one.

IMHO if you are going to design a circuit board there should be no point in jumpers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.