Increasing MyRef speaker protection circuit sensitivity - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
paskal9 is offline paskal9  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Increasing MyRef speaker protection circuit sensitivity

since i've blown two of my bridged modules because of accidental shorting of the tab to casing (which in turn burned my speakers connected to it), i'm considering of rebuilding the other modules with speaker protection similar to the one used in myref into it.

anybody could advice me on how to increase the sensitivity of the protection circuit like the one below?
Click the image to open in full size.
this is part of the miniref schematic, which is similar to the one used in my ref.

with the current component value, it triggers at about 4v something. could it be made to trigger at say around 1v? any advice/suggestion/criticism would be much appreciated.
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the circuit around Q3 must be replaced.

Better to start with a proper protection/delay circuit rather than this VERY basic version compromised by trying too hard to minimise the number of components.
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
paskal9 is offline paskal9  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
the circuit around Q3 must be replaced.

Better to start with a proper protection/delay circuit rather than this VERY basic version compromised by trying too hard to minimise the number of components.
thanks for the reply andrew. well frankly i would, if i could. but i couldn't. space is a luxury that i don't have. a very basic protection is still better than no protection. lesson learned. a pricey one at that.

the original modules have a size of 5cm x 9cm. i managed to squeeze the protection circuit inside while increasing the width another 1 cm to 5cm x 10cm

as the original amp are arranged to accommodate amp modules with the original size of 5x9, large amount of size increase would mean that i have to retrofit most of the boards back.
as you can see, it's already packed as it is. my options are currently limited to the simple protection circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!