NE 5532 PreAmplifier from Doug Self, Elektor 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to mention to the late builders (like me) the NE5532's that were available when i purchased them were the NE5532AP.

http://uk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/ne5532ap/op-amp-dual-low-noise-5532-dip8/dp/1106091?ost=NE5532AP&ddkey=http%3Aen-GB%2FElement14_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch

You'll see here the supply voltage range is +5v - 15v.
The Elektor project has 17v supplies from the PSU.

In the above technical sheet for this i.c. it shows max. voltage is 22v, but recommended supply is 15v.

I wrote to Elektor explaining this and they told me to play it safe reduce R2 & R4 from 1.3k to 1.1k, which i have done, reducing the PSU o/p from 17 to 15v.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
In Elektor 06-2012, page 26, it give information of 'Miscellaneous - Not on PCB'.
Can someone clear up what is written of the fuse F1 (230VAC) = fuse, 0.315A Antisurge?

What is the correct mains input fuse that should be used on the mains input circuit?

I have just answered this in another thread you posted to.

:cop: Please don't keep posting the same questions to multiple threads, its as bad as starting two threads in the hope of getting quicker answers.

What is the rating of the mains transformer?
That determines the fuse rating.

eg.
230Vac 100VA uses ~ 100/230 = 0.43A and would need a close rated fuse of about 500mA. i.e. T500mA

The surge may be too much for a 500mA unless you use an anti surge fuse. I would start with a 1A.
T500mA is a Time delayed fuse. That is what the "T" tells me.

Ideas please!

I now have the connector inserted into K17 on the Input PCB.

Inserting the other end into the Front Panel PCB into K1 socket it's now impossible to have the Front Panel PCB flush up against my metal case front panel, due to the size of the plug & socket.

Any ideas on what i can use to be able to mount my Front Panel PCB as it'll have to fall back a few centimeters?

Apart from that wiring nearly finished.

In Elektor April '12, page 22, it states: -

'Axial polystyrene caps require care in determining where to bend the legs. Their size is not standardized and subject to various tolerances compared to other parts.'

Can someone kindly enlighten me about this.

A picture is worth a lot:-

How would you bend these (very thin) wires to fit a pcb?

Attachments

• po;ys.jpg
    po;ys.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 237
sorry, pic lifted from a supplier's catalogue page!

I am not sure anyone still makes this sort of polystyrene cap anymore. This style is very much pre-automation (caps in a bunch inside a plastic bag, all scrambled up.

We always inserted and soldered them manually on otherwise finished boards. Production people hated that!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
CPC have a healthy list of similar style caps from LCR, although some may be polypropylene. I always called them by the name 'suflex' many many years ago.

Always try and connect the outer foil to the lowest impedance point to get the benefit of shielding and minimise stray pickup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.