Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2003, 04:13 AM   #11
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer for TDA7250

Use a 27-0-27Vac transformer with a 200VA rating. This will be enough for 2 channels.
Old 7th December 2003, 05:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Question Having trouble designing a power supply for the tda1514a

Glad to know that the TDA1514a is getting some rave reviews, because I've chosen it in a design I'm working on for a 5-channel power amp for my PC (left, right, 2xrear + centre).

The 10A quoted in an earlier post is based, I think, on a website which suggests providing 5A per TDA1514 chip. I suspect this is overkill. I started on this assumption for my 5 channel amp, and ended up having to buy a nuclear power station just for the power supply.

I am now working on the assumption that the power requirement is 1.5 x (output power) - from another website (cannot remember that one, either ). I am planning on powering the amp with +/- 22v. Therefore, I am assuming that 2A is more than enough for each amp, and that 10A enough for my whole project. If anyone knows why this is not a good set of assumptions, please let me know!

I'm going for a +/- 22v supply for a couple of good (or so I thought) reasons. First, it is below the maximum allowed in the datasheet for both 8ohm and 4ohm operation, so I don't need to switch the voltage down if the speaker is changed. Second, it is close to the maximum voltage, so I get the maximum output from the amp - is this correct? What affect is there on the chip by running at lower voltages?

My big problem ATM is the power supply. I'm planning on rectifying the output from a 2x25v transformer (toroidal), and then passing this through a voltage regulator. Problem is building a voltage regulator tough enough. I've seen a posting (http://www.pclincs.co.uk/Forums/showthread/t-293.html) which shows how to use an ordinary (1A) regulator together with some power transistors to deliver a high current. I have this in mind as the solution to use. Having worked out how to get a variable Voltage regulator to deliver 22v @ 1A, I am not sure now of the component values to use.

I believe I want a regulated voltage supply, to avoid odd effects in the amplifier when the unregulated supply wanders around.

Some help and advice in resolving my power supply problems would be really appreciated - thanks in advance

Hide this!Advertise here!