Another "can I use this transformer?" thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2012, 01:43 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

red to red: 1.2Ω
blue to blue: 0.7Ω
blue to red1: 0.5Ω
blue to red2: 1.0Ω
black to any red: 0.7Ω
black to any blue:: 0.5Ω

I guess: black is the center tap, blues are a middle point and red the far side?
Old 26th June 2012, 02:45 AM   #12
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like it.

I had forgotten that you had 2x of some of the colors. Sorry.

To complete the picture, you should probably also refer to blue1 and blue2, instead of just "blue", in your post above.

So if you could, please also give measurements labeled as blue1 to red1, blue1 to red2, blue2 to red1, and blue2 to red2.

Did you short your probe tips together and measure that resistance, and then subtract that from each of your resistance measurements? (Also, check them shorted together, again, afterward, and if it's changed, re-do the measurements. Or, keep checking it until it stops changing, before starting the measurements, but then check it afterward, anyway.)

The reason I ask is because if black is the center, and black to each red is 0.7 Ohms, then red to red should be 1.4 Ohms, not 1.2. And blue to blue would be 1.0, not 0.7, since black to any blue is 0.5.

So it LOOKS like either we're wrong about how they are configured, or, the measurments are not accurate.

Or maybe I'm missing something, or looking at it wrong. But, enlarging your photo, I noticed that the secondary's PCB connector also has the wires in order, symmetrically, as red, blue, black, blue, red, which is the same order that we seem to be guessing that the taps are in.
Old 26th June 2012, 03:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Shorted leads: 0.3

Resistance with leads subtracted:

red1 to blue1: 0.2
red1 to black: 0.4
red1 to blue2: 0.7
red1 to red2: 0.9

blue1 to black: 0.2
blue1 to blue2: 0.4
blue1 to red2: 0.7

black to any blue: 0.2
black to any red: 0.4

blue2 to red2: 0.2

My meter only has 1 decimal, so it looks like the guess is right.
Blue to black 0.2 and blue to blue 0.4
Red to black 0.4 and red to red 0.9 (if my meter had 2 decimals, this could be confirmed).

What do you think?
Old 26th June 2012, 04:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If u have pulled it from a subwoofer, the components on the pcb that was powered by it, tell the specs of the transformer, better than anyone can guess. Your transformer is rated to drive the stk power amp u mentioned in the first post. Just refer the data for the stk and that will give u an idea of the power rating of the transformer (high current windings).

The smaller voltages were used for the low pass filter circuits, most probably designed around op-amps(may be discrete also).

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited by gmphadte; 26th June 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:45 AM   #15
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Silver.
You must find which tappings are NOT connected to other tappings.
This allows you to label each winding and identify how many tappings are on each winding. A winding MUST have at least two tappings. A centre tapped winding MUST have at least three tappings.

First: find out how many windings you have.
Second: label the separate windings.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Silver.
You must find which tappings are NOT connected to other tappings.
This allows you to label each winding and identify how many tappings are on each winding. A winding MUST have at least two tappings. A centre tapped winding MUST have at least three tappings.

First: find out how many windings you have.
Second: label the separate windings.
Andrew, the transformer has 7 wires in the secondaries. They are separated in 2 bundles (separate connectors):
5 wires: red-blue-black-blue-red All of these seem to be the same winding (they all have continuity).
2 wires: yellow-yellow These are a separate winding.

I'm assuming that if they have continuity, they are part of the same winding, if that is incorrect, please let me know.
Old 26th June 2012, 01:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I can't tell you if they are the same winding. Only you can do that test.
Similarly for the primary or primaries.
You have to find which wires are connected and which groups do not connect to any other group.
You must do this FIRST !!!

I'm using "groups" instead of windings. Does that help?
Old 26th June 2012, 02:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Now I'm confused, I "learned" a long time ago that if the wires have continuity are part of the same winding (please let me know if this is incorrect).

Based on this premise I tested for continuity the secondaries and primary.
Found that there is only 1 primary winding (all 5 wires have continuity).
There are 2 secondaries:
The red-blue-black-blue-red bundle is a single winding (all 5 wires have continuity).
The yellow-yellow pair is a separate winding (yellow-yellow have continuity, they have no continuity to other wire(s)).

Again, this is based on the premise that if they have continuity, they are part of the same winding. Is this premise incorrect?
Old 26th June 2012, 02:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Good.
Now go back and re-read you measuring results. You should be able to see which bits of a winding are connected in what order from one end to the other.
Old 26th June 2012, 02:49 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Good.
Now go back and re-read you measuring results. You should be able to see which bits of a winding are connected in what order from one end to the other.
My uneducated guess is:
red1-2 are the beginning-end of the winding
black is the center
blue1-2 are somewhere midpoint between a red and the black

Hide this!Advertise here!