Built chip amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2012, 10:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Built chip amps

Not DIY I know, but I value opinions here. Any decent commercial gainclone amps out there?

Was looking at these two:

Original LM3886 HIFI Audio Power Amplifier -Good sound | eBay

Tube 6N11 + LM3886 HIFI Audio Amplifier Home Audio AMP | eBay

Thoughts?
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Banned

This guy is a member here: Dal Audio Retro Dynaco-style Gainclone LM3886 Chip Amplifier. | eBay

It's hit or miss with Chinese stuff. Even a forum like this cannot keep up with the crap being churned out of there.

You never know if your getting real parts, no manuals or support, nobody that has ever heard one etc.

I bet the profit margin competes with or exceeds the more "expensive" American dollars. You guys (Americans) were leaders in electronic manufacturing at one point in time. Do what you can to keep some money here for our kids.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Banned

Nevermind, I just realized you might actually be the eBay seller in question.
Use the vendor area.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link Alvis. No im not the seller of that amp, those just came up when I searched ebay.

The DAL Audio stuff seems well made. I like the look of this amp: Studio II Chip AMP LM3886 Gainclone Compact (STD II) | eBay

Seems it uses a 22v power supply but 28v is needed to get to 68W as per data sheet. Am I reading that right?

Also would like some opinions on low end performance of chip amps like the one above. I own and like my tripath TK2050 but bass is a bit lacking.
Old 23rd May 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
Seems it uses a 22v power supply but 28v is needed to get to 68W as per data sheet. Am I reading that right?

Also would like some opinions on low end performance of chip amps like the one above. I own and like my tripath TK2050 but bass is a bit lacking.
22-0-22VAC = +/-30VDC after rectification. So the amp will do the posted numbers (except the 50W@8ohm since that needs +/-35VDC).

As for the Tripath, just read on here (in general regarding chipamps) about the input capacitor. Seems putting in a greater value can sometimes do wonders for your bass-performance. I'm not the one to ask, but you might want to throw that in here (as in post values used) to see if people have an opinion on that. Provided you know those values/made the amp yourself.

Last edited by ric-paul; 23rd May 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Is Tripath still alive? Once they really have good products but the market is cold blooded.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I have read that some of the Cambridge range of Power Amplifiers are chipamp based.

The Tannoy Reveal 6D active 2way is chipamp based.

I suspect there are many domestic duty Power Amplifiers on the market that are chipamp based.

Last edited by AndrewT; 23rd May 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 23rd May 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconray View Post
Is Tripath still alive? Once they really have good products but the market is cold blooded.
They are long gone, i believe the web site was shut down almost 4 years ago. Their products were trash too, worst sound i ever heard!!
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I have read that some of the Cambridge range of Power Amplifiers are chipamp based.

The Tannoy Reveal 6D active 2way is chipamp based.

I suspect there are many domestic duty Power Amplifiers on the market that are chipamp based.
Cambridge 340 (SE)

CA 340A SE LM3886 based amp - Upgrade advice please.
Old 30th October 2013, 05:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Zone Amp-1 & Amp-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadhi View Post
Not DIY I know, but I value opinions here. Any decent commercial gainclone amps out there?

Was looking at these two:

Original LM3886 HIFI Audio Power Amplifier -Good sound | eBay

Tube 6N11 + LM3886 HIFI Audio Amplifier Home Audio AMP | eBay

Thoughts?
Audio Zone Gain Clone Amps, of Toronto, Canada, are the reference standard in commercial Gain Clone Amps, but they are not cheap as they use the very best in components. I listened to the Amp-2 at their showroom with their efficient Eliminator 600 custom speakers (these horns did not have a crossover) and classical music sounded like it was in a concert hall. I have sent an email to Dal Audio to ask if any reviews have compared the two makes (The Dal mono-blocks sell at 6X less the price of Audio Zone AMP-2 mono-blocks) and will post their reply.

Audio Zone High End Components
6moons audio reviews: Audio Zone AMP-1 by Audio Oasis
6moons audio reviews: AudioZone PRE-1T & AMP-2

Hide this!Advertise here!