diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Mauro Penasa MyRef vs simple LM3886 circuit (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/212626-mauro-penasa-myref-vs-simple-lm3886-circuit.html)

soundnovice 14th May 2012 05:26 AM

Mauro Penasa MyRef vs simple LM3886 circuit

hi
i want to know difference between Mauro Penasa's MyRef design for LM3886 and the simple circuit given in LM3886 datasheet. will it be worth of spending that extra for MyRef version?

bcmbob 14th May 2012 09:41 AM

Start reading here. All the basic information comes fairly quickly.

The LM3886 is a fantastic chip on its own, but the sound from the advanced implementations are approaching the performance of multi-thousand dollar tube amps for a fraction of the cost. The MyRef Fremen Edition is one of these.

I would suggest your choice of amp design is directly related to the level of your associated equipment and the quality/size of your speakers. A dune buggy is a whole lot of fun, while a Silver Cloud or a Corvette most likely will give a better driving experience. ;)

PreSapian 14th May 2012 10:16 AM

i agree with bob. the sound from myref is eerily reminescent of a quality tube amp in tonal accuracy and detail. gainclone might have an edge on attack and transparency but it cannot even be held in same comparison for refinement against myref.
in short, with my limited experience with them,

crazy fun ss sound (underline crazy)- gainclone

ultra refined uncharacteristic sound- myref

soundnovice 14th May 2012 01:09 PM

MyRef is already sounding good to me!!
as its tonal quality is comparable with that of tube amp, then i believe this can be a good companion for fostex full range drivers. is it right?
also can someone point me to a kit or PCB if anybody is selling.

AndrewT 14th May 2012 01:13 PM

Go to that link that McBob so kindly looked out for you.
On the last page you will find Linuxguru.
He has a variety of different implementations on PCBs.

squalor 15th May 2012 02:36 AM

soundnovice, you have Fostex full range drivers ? Which ones ? Which cabinet design ? Reason I ask is I have FE206E in Dallas II cabinets. I'm also in the Fremen Edition beta build.
Quote:

be worth of spending that extra for MyRef version?
depends on how much "that extra" your willing to spend. Do you already have a preamp ?

soundnovice 15th May 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squalor (Post 3023734)
soundnovice, you have Fostex full range drivers ? Which ones ? Which cabinet design ? Reason I ask is I have FE206E in Dallas II cabinets. I'm also in the Fremen Edition beta build.
depends on how much "that extra" your willing to spend. Do you already have a preamp ?

i have a pair of fe126en. building bk-12m folded horn as per the specs given in madisound. Linuxguru sells MyRef PCB and also the components. trying to get in touch with him for the kits availability. i am ready to spend whatever extra it is as long as its within my budget. i dont have any preamp with me. but simple op-amp based preamp as in this one High Quality Audio Preamp is what i have in mind. can u please share link or pictures of your dallas II cabinet

squalor 15th May 2012 02:30 PM

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ns-needed.html

A back-loaded folded horn design using Fostex drivers may only need a volume pot with a chip amp, your speakers will be very efficient.

ClaveFremen 15th May 2012 03:14 PM

If you want you can take advantage of the Release Candidate mini GB of the Fremen Edition (my My_Ref derivate design), it will close in a week or two.

The PCBs cost will be around 40$ and BOM can be sourced entirely from Mouser (from 150$ depending on some component alternatives).

Ask Bob how much the FE sounds better than a plain My_Ref... ;)

ra7 15th May 2012 03:42 PM

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but in my listening experience the MyRefC is very good, although probably not better than good Class-A designs. This includes tubes and SS.

Definitely worth the effort compared to a plain LM3886.