Mauro Penasa MyRef vs simple LM3886 circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Start reading here. All the basic information comes fairly quickly.

The LM3886 is a fantastic chip on its own, but the sound from the advanced implementations are approaching the performance of multi-thousand dollar tube amps for a fraction of the cost. The MyRef Fremen Edition is one of these.

I would suggest your choice of amp design is directly related to the level of your associated equipment and the quality/size of your speakers. A dune buggy is a whole lot of fun, while a Silver Cloud or a Corvette most likely will give a better driving experience. ;)

Last edited:
i agree with bob. the sound from myref is eerily reminescent of a quality tube amp in tonal accuracy and detail. gainclone might have an edge on attack and transparency but it cannot even be held in same comparison for refinement against myref.
in short, with my limited experience with them,

crazy fun ss sound (underline crazy)- gainclone

ultra refined uncharacteristic sound- myref

soundnovice, you have Fostex full range drivers ? Which ones ? Which cabinet design ? Reason I ask is I have FE206E in Dallas II cabinets. I'm also in the Fremen Edition beta build.
depends on how much "that extra" your willing to spend. Do you already have a preamp ?

i have a pair of fe126en. building bk-12m folded horn as per the specs given in madisound. Linuxguru sells MyRef PCB and also the components. trying to get in touch with him for the kits availability. i am ready to spend whatever extra it is as long as its within my budget. i dont have any preamp with me. but simple op-amp based preamp as in this one High Quality Audio Preamp is what i have in mind. can u please share link or pictures of your dallas II cabinet

Well, how can I say this? I started with the BrianGT dual mono kit. It held up well to a $1700 Denon receiver. Probably the best bang for the buck of all the flavors.

Next were the Twisted Pear V1.2 boards from Uriah with my own sourcing. This is where the "refined character" started to show.

Siva's 1.3 version Ultimate BOM package followed. A "tube like" sound and softness began to appear and with the addition of the LFO1 (plus the Munforf AG caps at C3 & C8) was solidified beyond my expectations. At this point I was hearing the best sound I have owned over decades. That includes amps from Dynaco, Haffler, Yamaha, Denon and Carver.

As I work through the FE beta, I'm convinced, hopefully not being overly dramatic, I'm at the edge of a quantum step in my audio world. If a builder has, or is willing to invest in quality speakers, IMHO they will never regret trying this design.

I have mentioned to Dario that reports from just he and I are not really going to get the ball rolling. There should hopefully be a third voice within the week. Just so I haven't separated from reality, I'm planning to get the FEs as far as I can this week and take them to a boutique outlet near here this weekend. They have been selling the best in the area for over thirty years and I can rely on them for a good review. I have little doubt they will be quite surprised and impressed.

Last edited:
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but in my listening experience the MyRefC is very good, although probably not better than good Class-A designs. This includes tubes and SS.

this was also my experience all the way through replacing all the caps to blackgates. even at that point i thought myref was still too analytical, sterile.

then siva's lf01 modules arrived in the mail :)

this little gem breathes life and warmth into the sound, completely reinventing the presentation to something more human.

Combine that with unreal soundstage and detail that myref is renowned for and you can guess why i sold my sumo-9 recently, while my single ended 6v6 gathers dust, waiting for the same fate. :)

eidt: haha, right on, bob. i'm always wanting to know how a fully tuned myref would stack up against an aleph or one of later designs from mr.pass. perhaps you'd do us that honor when you visit the shop?

Last edited:
If you want you can take advantage of the Release Candidate mini GB of the Fremen Edition (my My_Ref derivate design), it will close in a week or two.

The PCBs cost will be around 40$ and BOM can be sourced entirely from Mouser (from 150$ depending on some component alternatives).

Ask Bob how much the FE sounds better than a plain My_Ref... ;)

i am almost tempted to register for release candidate of Fremen edition, but i would like to first try my hands on what Linuxguru is offering.

Last edited:
Any My_Ref is a great choice, you can't go wrong.

The only caveat is that the mini GB will end soon...

If you miss this one you must wait some months for the final boards one. ;)

well the BOM cost really scares me!
while Linuxguru's kits cost a lot less. moreover this is my first attempt in building chipamp. since several members from India (some from Bangalore too) have already built his kits, i am sure i will get good support here for this. but surely i will miss that 'one-step-ahead' quality of Fremen edition.

Well, how can I say this? ............
McBob, could you sue your new knowledge to go back and modify the previous builds to improve their performance? Could some or any of the very good value for money modifications improve any of these "inferior" builds?

How close could a well built "ordinary" 3886 implementation get to a MyRef?
How close could a MyRef implementation get to a FE?

How much would an FE be degraded by removing the very high price components and substituting good value components?

Hi Andrew,

I know you asked Bob but I can answer as well. ;)

How close could a well built "ordinary" 3886 implementation get to a MyRef?

They're different things, and they sound different.

The My_Ref is much more refined and coherent than any Gainclone, IMHO.

The more obviuos difference is how they drive loadspeakers: the My_Ref has a tight control on them that a gainclone simply can't reach.

How close could a MyRef implementation get to a FE?

If you intend a My_Ref compliant with Penasa's schematic (zener shunt and so on) there's a not small difference in bass tightness and deepness, soundstage, coherence and HF refinement.

How much would an FE be degraded by removing the very high price components and substituting good value components?

The BOM indicates all standard industrial parts, among them only Caddock resistors are high price.

Bob (and me too for what it counts) tried first the FE with plain industrial components (KOA metalfilm, Wima FKP caps, Panasonic elcos) and the amp sounds much better than a plain My_Ref.

Improvements over the plain My_Ref are due to:

• different grounding of LM3386
  • double diode bridge
  • higher voltage on LM318
  • optimized PCB
  • Use of SMD components for LM318 compensation and current pump
  • FE CCS Shunt
Component selection refine and improve further the performance but it's not the key feature.

The costly Caddocks resistors can be replaced with much cheaper ones without a big impact on subjective performance.

The BOM is more expensive than plain My_Ref one simply for one reason: number of components (2 times the diodes, 2 regulators more, 2 transistors more, 2 resistors more, components for the limiter...etc...)

Clave,
thanks for that summary and the specific answers.

I found that summary quite revealing and not what I understood from reading all your Threads & posts on the various 3886 implementations.

Your post19 summary shows that I have devil tinted spexs that prevented me seeing the light.

Bob, let's hear you as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.