Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 04:27 PM   #11
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, how can I say this? I started with the BrianGT dual mono kit. It held up well to a $1700 Denon receiver. Probably the best bang for the buck of all the flavors.

Next were the Twisted Pear V1.2 boards from Uriah with my own sourcing. This is where the "refined character" started to show.

Siva's 1.3 version Ultimate BOM package followed. A "tube like" sound and softness began to appear and with the addition of the LFO1 (plus the Munforf AG caps at C3 & C8) was solidified beyond my expectations. At this point I was hearing the best sound I have owned over decades. That includes amps from Dynaco, Haffler, Yamaha, Denon and Carver.

As I work through the FE beta, I'm convinced, hopefully not being overly dramatic, I'm at the edge of a quantum step in my audio world. If a builder has, or is willing to invest in quality speakers, IMHO they will never regret trying this design.

I have mentioned to Dario that reports from just he and I are not really going to get the ball rolling. There should hopefully be a third voice within the week. Just so I haven't separated from reality, I'm planning to get the FEs as far as I can this week and take them to a boutique outlet near here this weekend. They have been selling the best in the area for over thirty years and I can rely on them for a good review. I have little doubt they will be quite surprised and impressed.

Last edited by bcmbob; 15th May 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but in my listening experience the MyRefC is very good, although probably not better than good Class-A designs. This includes tubes and SS.
this was also my experience all the way through replacing all the caps to blackgates. even at that point i thought myref was still too analytical, sterile.

then siva's lf01 modules arrived in the mail

this little gem breathes life and warmth into the sound, completely reinventing the presentation to something more human.

Combine that with unreal soundstage and detail that myref is renowned for and you can guess why i sold my sumo-9 recently, while my single ended 6v6 gathers dust, waiting for the same fate.

eidt: haha, right on, bob. i'm always wanting to know how a fully tuned myref would stack up against an aleph or one of later designs from mr.pass. perhaps you'd do us that honor when you visit the shop?

Last edited by PreSapian; 15th May 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

You Bet
Old 15th May 2012, 05:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
If you want you can take advantage of the Release Candidate mini GB of the Fremen Edition (my My_Ref derivate design), it will close in a week or two.

The PCBs cost will be around 40$ and BOM can be sourced entirely from Mouser (from 150$ depending on some component alternatives).

Ask Bob how much the FE sounds better than a plain My_Ref...
i am almost tempted to register for release candidate of Fremen edition, but i would like to first try my hands on what Linuxguru is offering.

Last edited by soundnovice; 15th May 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 15th May 2012, 07:04 PM   #15
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
i am almost tempted to register for release candidate of Fremen edition, but i would like to first try my hands on what Linuxguru is offering.
Any My_Ref is a great choice, you can't go wrong.

The only caveat is that the mini GB will end soon...

If you miss this one you must wait some months for the final boards one.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Any My_Ref is a great choice, you can't go wrong.

The only caveat is that the mini GB will end soon...

If you miss this one you must wait some months for the final boards one.
well the BOM cost really scares me!
while Linuxguru's kits cost a lot less. moreover this is my first attempt in building chipamp. since several members from India (some from Bangalore too) have already built his kits, i am sure i will get good support here for this. but surely i will miss that 'one-step-ahead' quality of Fremen edition.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

No problem

As I've already said any My_Ref is a great choice.
Old 16th May 2012, 02:31 PM   #18
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
Well, how can I say this? ............
McBob, could you sue your new knowledge to go back and modify the previous builds to improve their performance? Could some or any of the very good value for money modifications improve any of these "inferior" builds?

How close could a well built "ordinary" 3886 implementation get to a MyRef?
How close could a MyRef implementation get to a FE?

How much would an FE be degraded by removing the very high price components and substituting good value components?
Old 16th May 2012, 03:07 PM   #19
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,

I know you asked Bob but I can answer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
How close could a well built "ordinary" 3886 implementation get to a MyRef?
They're different things, and they sound different.

The My_Ref is much more refined and coherent than any Gainclone, IMHO.

The more obviuos difference is how they drive loadspeakers: the My_Ref has a tight control on them that a gainclone simply can't reach.

Quote:
How close could a MyRef implementation get to a FE?
If you intend a My_Ref compliant with Penasa's schematic (zener shunt and so on) there's a not small difference in bass tightness and deepness, soundstage, coherence and HF refinement.

Quote:
How much would an FE be degraded by removing the very high price components and substituting good value components?
The BOM indicates all standard industrial parts, among them only Caddock resistors are high price.

Bob (and me too for what it counts) tried first the FE with plain industrial components (KOA metalfilm, Wima FKP caps, Panasonic elcos) and the amp sounds much better than a plain My_Ref.

Improvements over the plain My_Ref are due to:
  • different grounding of LM3386
  • double diode bridge
  • higher voltage on LM318
  • optimized PCB
  • Use of SMD components for LM318 compensation and current pump
  • FE CCS Shunt
Component selection refine and improve further the performance but it's not the key feature.

The costly Caddocks resistors can be replaced with much cheaper ones without a big impact on subjective performance.

The BOM is more expensive than plain My_Ref one simply for one reason: number of components (2 times the diodes, 2 regulators more, 2 transistors more, 2 resistors more, components for the limiter...etc...)
Old 16th May 2012, 03:50 PM   #20
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Clave,
thanks for that summary and the specific answers.

I found that summary quite revealing and not what I understood from reading all your Threads & posts on the various 3886 implementations.

Your post19 summary shows that I have devil tinted spexs that prevented me seeing the light.

Bob, let's hear you as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!