Is this transformer too much? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2003, 03:18 AM   #1
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Is this transformer too much?

I just bought a torroid on a chance buy. Dual secondaries -
0 - 40, 0 - 40, secondary current 2.81 amps.. I'm guessing 230va. Is it too much voltage for a 3875 based gainclone? I read that, sonically, better results are achieved with lower voltages. If it's not recommended that I use this transformer, what should I do with it?(and don't say "give it to me" ) Trades?
Old 8th October 2003, 03:21 AM   #2
Account Disabled

one way to use it, if the transformer has dual primaries and you live in a country with 110v ac, is to put the dual primaries in serial, and your transformer will output 20v ac on the secondary.
Old 8th October 2003, 08:02 AM   #3
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's far too high for the LM3875. You may be able to use it for a regulated supply and lower the voltage. See Pedja's site for more details.
Old 8th October 2003, 08:46 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

30 volts AC are max but 20-25 V is better. + - 42 VDC is max for this IC. +-47 VDC max without signal, what does this mean really? Maybe it have something to do with the protection circuitry?

Why don't you build a discrete amp instead?
Old 8th October 2003, 04:05 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
to put the dual primaries in serial, and your transformer will output 20v ac on the secondary.

essentially you wire the primaries as if you will be using 220v AC but using it instead on 110v AC mains. That way, you get half the rated voltage on the secondary, which sits nicely with the chip.
Old 8th October 2003, 10:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies guys. The transformer has single primaries so millwood's suggestion is out. I may use it in a regulated ps for another project, I looked at pedja's regulated supply for gainclone. The voltage regulator he used, lm338, is rated at 40v max input, I am unsure of running anything at it's max tolerance, this would be a good time for ordering samples to try but these only come unpackaged as samples. For now, I am just going to keep this as a nice paperweight untill I find a project for it, I paid less than $20 . I am sticking to my original parts list for the gainclone, I'll experiment with something else.
Old 8th October 2003, 11:09 PM   #7
Account Disabled

illusus, if you have two of those transformers, you can parallel the primaries and do what I had suggested.
Old 8th October 2003, 11:46 PM   #8
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
illusus, if you have two of those transformers, you can parallel the primaries and do what I had suggested.

I meant to say put the primaries in serial. sorry.
Old 9th October 2003, 12:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah I wish I had two, but no such luck. oh well. I've been planning on going through the Zen tutorial, maybe all five stages, or skip to the penultimate. I'm sure the transformer will come in handy there, as well as the ten 10 000mfd 125V caps I bought for five canadian bux .

Hide this!Advertise here!