Is this transformer too much?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a torroid on a chance buy. Dual secondaries -
0 - 40, 0 - 40, secondary current 2.81 amps.. I'm guessing 230va. Is it too much voltage for a 3875 based gainclone? I read that, sonically, better results are achieved with lower voltages. If it's not recommended that I use this transformer, what should I do with it?(and don't say "give it to me" ;) ) Trades?

Thanks for your replies guys. The transformer has single primaries so millwood's suggestion is out. I may use it in a regulated ps for another project, I looked at pedja's regulated supply for gainclone. The voltage regulator he used, lm338, is rated at 40v max input, I am unsure of running anything at it's max tolerance, this would be a good time for ordering samples to try but these only come unpackaged as samples. For now, I am just going to keep this as a nice paperweight untill I find a project for it, I paid less than $20 . I am sticking to my original parts list for the gainclone, I'll experiment with something else.

Yeah I wish I had two, but no such luck. oh well. I've been planning on going through the Zen tutorial, maybe all five stages, or skip to the penultimate. I'm sure the transformer will come in handy there, as well as the ten 10 000mfd 125V caps I bought for five canadian bux ;).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.