Tube Buffered GC Heater PS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2003, 02:56 AM   #1
eeehaah is offline eeehaah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Buffered GC Heater PS

Hello, I'm going to try Joe Rasmussen's tube buffered GC, Pete inspired me, raves about his. Anyway, for various reasons I want to use this circuit in the pic for the heater power. If Joe or anyone sees any problem, I'd appreciate a "heads up".

Thanks,

eeehaah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lm317brasc.jpg (39.5 KB, 698 views)
Old 8th October 2003, 10:17 AM   #2
RIP

I'd add more capacitance for a heater supply...10,000 to 20,000uf for your first cap, 4,700 to 10,000uf for your last...these are pretty common values for heater supplies.
Old 13th October 2003, 02:47 PM   #3
DrG is offline DrG  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd add more capacitance for a heater supply...10,000 to 20,000uf for your first cap, 4,700 to 10,000uf for your last...these are pretty common values for heater supplies.
Whatever for??? It's drawing around 300mA! The only advantage will be watching your heaters glow for 5min after you've turned the amp off...

Eeehaah, the caps are fine! Don't waste caps where I guarantee they will make NO difference. In fact I'll bet you won't be able to hear ANY noise/hum from an AC supply, especially with a CT 3.15-0-3.15 arrangement.

Rather add 10000uF to your supply rails...
Old 13th October 2003, 02:59 PM   #4
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Even though the above poster is on my ignore list i did take the time to read his reply.
I agree.
ron
Old 13th October 2003, 03:09 PM   #5
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by DrG

Whatever for??? It's drawing around 300mA! The only advantage will be watching your heaters glow for 5min after you've turned the amp off...
...because that's what's traditionally used in dc heater supplies(please see any number of schematics on the web)...granted the lm317 is going to help kill the ripple, so you could lower the value of the second cap, but with only 1000uf in front of the 317, it's going to be working overtime to do so.
Old 13th October 2003, 03:16 PM   #6
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

A big cap'll make the LM317 get hotter, especially with a high AC input voltage.
Old 13th October 2003, 03:41 PM   #7
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by dhaen
A big cap'll make the LM317 get hotter, especially with a high AC input voltage.
...which is why I'd lose the lm317 and go with a CRC input. 20,000uf - R - 10,000uf, and adjust R for 6.3V.

...or go with current regulated heaters.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dc_current_regs2.gif (12.2 KB, 540 views)
Old 13th October 2003, 08:36 PM   #8
DrG is offline DrG  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Even though the above poster is on my ignore list i did take the time to read his reply.
Well gee, thanks Ron! You've made my day... no, my whole month! Wow, you condescended to read a reply from li'l ol' me. I feel blessed. I am not worthy...

Now perhaps you could tell me, this thread and the whole forum why I'm on this fearful "ignore" list of yours, because I certainly don't know. Not that I give a continental crap what you think Ron, but you are casting dispersions where none are necessary or deserved.

Feel free to ignore anyone but don't manipulate your narrow-mindedness into a tool for denegrating others or to spark a flaming row...
Old 14th October 2003, 04:12 AM   #9
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

well you were a little tiresome on that other thread about gainclones and such....
Old 14th October 2003, 01:29 PM   #10
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry DrG, but when someone starts to get repetive and just starts expressing opinions without fact or actually adding to the info pool in any forum i just put them on ignore.I do it to just save time as i really dont have a lot of that handy.
I also just back out of threads when emotions start to take over because at that point , whats the use.I am also here on another nic (puter , not web)which i had not put you on ignore, and thats where i read your post.
As so much of this info exchange in these type forums is of a subjective nature i realize not all can be actual facts or established test results, however i really dont get into or want to be part of a crusade either for or aganist any idea or opinion.
Its my belief that until you try something or actually hear (in this case) the results from a test or a particular method of doing something then its an assumned opinion and to me that has very little value.
As i spent over 20 years in aerospace quality control i learned, the hard way, that facts or established extensive test results always won out over opinions.
ron

Hide this!Advertise here!