Tube Buffered GC Heater PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm going to try Joe Rasmussen's tube buffered GC, Pete inspired me, raves about his. Anyway, for various reasons I want to use this circuit in the pic for the heater power. If Joe or anyone sees any problem, I'd appreciate a "heads up".

Thanks,

eeehaah

Attachments

• lm317brasc.jpg
    lm317brasc.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 729
I'd add more capacitance for a heater supply...10,000 to 20,000uf for your first cap, 4,700 to 10,000uf for your last...these are pretty common values for heater supplies.

Whatever for??? It's drawing around 300mA! The only advantage will be watching your heaters glow for 5min after you've turned the amp off...

Eeehaah, the caps are fine! Don't waste caps where I guarantee they will make NO difference. In fact I'll bet you won't be able to hear ANY noise/hum from an AC supply, especially with a CT 3.15-0-3.15 arrangement.

Rather add 10000uF to your supply rails...

DrG said:

Whatever for??? It's drawing around 300mA! The only advantage will be watching your heaters glow for 5min after you've turned the amp off...

...because that's what's traditionally used in dc heater supplies(please see any number of schematics on the web)...granted the lm317 is going to help kill the ripple, so you could lower the value of the second cap, but with only 1000uf in front of the 317, it's going to be working overtime to do so.

Even though the above poster is on my ignore list i did take the time to read his reply.

Well gee, thanks Ron! You've made my day... no, my whole month! Wow, you condescended to read a reply from li'l ol' me. I feel blessed. I am not worthy...

Now perhaps you could tell me, this thread and the whole forum why I'm on this fearful "ignore" list of yours, because I certainly don't know. Not that I give a continental crap what you think Ron, but you are casting dispersions where none are necessary or deserved.

Feel free to ignore anyone but don't manipulate your narrow-mindedness into a tool for denegrating others or to spark a flaming row...

Sorry DrG, but when someone starts to get repetive and just starts expressing opinions without fact or actually adding to the info pool in any forum i just put them on ignore.I do it to just save time as i really dont have a lot of that handy.
I also just back out of threads when emotions start to take over because at that point , whats the use.I am also here on another nic (puter , not web)which i had not put you on ignore, and thats where i read your post.
As so much of this info exchange in these type forums is of a subjective nature i realize not all can be actual facts or established test results, however i really dont get into or want to be part of a crusade either for or aganist any idea or opinion.
Its my belief that until you try something or actually hear (in this case) the results from a test or a particular method of doing something then its an assumned opinion and to me that has very little value.
As i spent over 20 years in aerospace quality control i learned, the hard way, that facts or established extensive test results always won out over opinions.
ron

Variac:
well you were a little tiresome on that other thread about gainclones and such....
Obviously not tiresome enough for you to lose interest though... ;)

ron clarke:
As i spent over 20 years in aerospace quality control i learned, the hard way, that facts or established extensive test results always won out over opinions.
So, no tube amps for you then, eh? Only the best for Ron, three-zero distortion solid state amps with test results to prove they're better...:confused:

Actually i was an extreem tube head till 2 things happened.First was i was adjusting the bias on my homebrew PP6bq5 amp and got knocked out for 5 min.This kinda made me leary of higher voltages.
Second was i discovered the GC (battery powered) which , in my estimation, blew away either my restored marantz 2238 or the tube amp.The marantz now lives with my mom and dad along with some fostex fe-103e horns and a low range marantz auto TT with a grado black cart.While not state of the art my dad loves his old marching band music and mom her Dean Martin and Frank S.
ron

Hi this kinda interests me too.
In my heater psu Ive got 1000uF 7805 with two diodes raising output to 6.2 regulated and another 1000uF. It sounds amazing (thanks Joe if your lurking:) Anyway, I got 50mV ripple with next to no capacitance, whats the point of using tripple regs and wasting 20000uF on capacitance? Should I try more capacitance or is 50mV as good as it gets?

Luke said:
Hi this kinda interests me too.
In my heater psu Ive got 1000uF 7805 with two diodes raising output to 6.2 regulated and another 1000uF. It sounds amazing (thanks Joe if your lurking:) Anyway, I got 50mV ripple with next to no capacitance, whats the point of using tripple regs and wasting 20000uF on capacitance? Should I try more capacitance or is 50mV as good as it gets?

With 3-10 bucks,(not alotta money for that "wasted capacitance"), you'd have it down to 1mV. This may not matter for a buffer being fed from a preamp or CDP, but it most definately matters in a preamp - especially one that has to handle micro or millivolt signals from a phono cartridge.

...the point being: why scrimp in an area where it's cheap to remedy? I'll take 1mV of unregulated ripple on a heater over a regulated heater with 50mV any day.

Nuuk,

I have little to show, in fact its a little embarrasing. Its all over my lounge floor and my fiances patience is running a little thin;)
I have about 3 different ones im experimenting with and soon need to put one in a nice box ive started. I tend to prefer electronics to metalwork so I build then dismantle.

pedroskova,

your right I should try it, and if I do actually choose this variation, I will work on the heater PS. Im just curious if it really makes that much difference as heaters can also be fed of 6.3V AC. To the best of my very limited knowledge on valves, I thought that DC over AC makes it easier to control hum so i wonder if 50mv ripple matters if there is no hum.

Luke said:

Im just curious if it really makes that much difference as heaters can also be fed of 6.3V AC. To the best of my very limited knowledge on valves, I thought that DC over AC makes it easier to control hum so i wonder if 50mv ripple matters if there is no hum.

If you don't have any hum, I'd leave be. My point was kind of rhetorical- if someone wants DC, why not go all the way?

BTW, my first preamp had AC on the heaters, and it worked and sounded fine.:bigeyes: ...until I switched to a different tube type(12au7 to 6sn7). Then it hummed like a barber shop quartet, and forced me to go to DC.

pedroskova,

I might add some capacitance to my final amp, for now im just enjoying it.
Its a funny thing, i think that regulated power amp supply with regulated tube buffer supply sounds amazing, soundstage and imaging is huge. When I change power amp to unregulated its not so good.
On straight gainclone and no buffer soundstage is better without regulation.
One thing I am certain of is the bass is better on unregulated.
Next goal is to try a discrete regulator and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.