Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

A-B-C comparison, Chipamp, MyRef C and Anthem Integrated 225
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
ClaveFremen is offline ClaveFremen  Italy
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseehum View Post
We only balanced the volume by ear, but that apparent volume was set by the quietist amp (My Ref C) so that it was not 'pegged'. The music was normal listening volume. If the amp cannot perform in the room chosen at a volume level that one would want to listen to music, that is inherently a fault with the amp.
But still the (much) more powerfull amp has the advantage of more current capability

I must repeat myself, this is not a fair test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseehum View Post
My main point is that if one has a budget of $70-100 dollars for poweramp boards and components (no hardware) the audio industry has a better way of spending it than the amps I built (that is those amps I had, not the myriad amps I might have built). The snag with commercial units is that one has to buy the hardware/profit/R&D etc. as well!
This is non-sense, particularly in DIY forum...

People approach DIY not only for budget reasons but also to have things done exactly like they want, free of manifacturers cost oriented design choices.

The $70-100 dollars budget is different between you and the manifacturer.
  1. the manifacturer pays much less parts, since it buy them in quantities.
  2. you don't pay the manifacturing cost but retail price.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:53 AM   #12
hurtz is offline hurtz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
My 2 cents – For the past few weeks I’ve been doing comparisons on an even narrower group – various flavors of the MyRef/LM3886 family. The words and phrases I might use to describe my impressions are indeed inadequate, but in truth – all we as humans have at our disposal. I recently discovered my ability to hear the full audio spectrum has changed due to the natural ageing process. A poster on the MyRef FE project suggested a standardized set of speakers for the beta builders – which I heartily endorsed – got little to no support. When the various room characteristics are necessarily included in the equation, things get even messier.

We all could add to the list of variables for days so I won’t even try to be definitive. I’m beginning to believe that the book title from the 60s really applies to the audio world – “When you meet the Guru in the middle of the road, run the other way.” That doesn’t diminish or challenge the honesty/validity of ones stated impressions. There just doesn’t appear to be a one size fits all – either sonically or with lab tools - method in an area that in its very nature is at least half artistic.

I think the best we can do is use the terms we have to report what each of us experience/prefer (with as complete a description of limiting elements as is practical), and leave the determination of “Best” to those would enjoy calculating Pi to “Infinity and Beyond”.
+1 :-)
Old 12th May 2017, 09:12 AM   #13
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

My experience runs 100% percent counter to the OP's thoughts/experience on the myref. I recently finished the myref fremen. And the low end is AMAZING. It's all there.....my jaw literally drops sometimes. So my experience is virtually the same as weskoki's experience.

And what I also found amazing is when the music becomes complex but also louder.....the amp just effortlessly steps up and treats it with the same finesse as softer easy music.

Basically I'm just in love with this myref fremen.

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 12th May 2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12th May 2017, 09:24 AM   #14
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th May 2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Naaling is online now Naaling  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
My experience runs 100% percent counter to the OP's thoughts/experience on the myref. I recently finished the myref fremen. And the low end is AMAZING. It's all there.....my jaw literally drops sometimes. So my experience is virtually the same as weskoki's experience.

And what I also found amazing is when the music becomes complex but also louder.....the amp just effortlessly steps up and treats it with the same finesse as softer easy music.

Basically I'm just in love with this myref fremen.
I have a similar experience with a standard myref_rev C built on a pair of Siva's 1.4 boards.

I recently gave up the idea of building my own speakers (SAF issues), and bought a pair of Q Acoustic 3050"s. Now that both the amp and speakers have had time to settle down, I am stunned by what this sub $1000 system can produce.
Old 13th May 2017, 02:31 PM   #16
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

We only balanced the volume by ear

That's the deal breaker right there.
You need to set the volume with a test signal, measured at the speaker terminals.
Then you can not adjust the volume.
Old 13th May 2017, 04:22 PM   #17
Johnny2Bad is offline Johnny2Bad  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think the use of the listener's ears to balance volume is a significant issue in this case ... after all, it is only one aspect of a relevant "double blind test". Do as some suggest, by setting output level via measurement, and you have only solved one issue. People could then justifiably complain that the next wasn't addressed, and so on.

This is a simple subjective assessment of different components. It should be taken as such and not nitpicked because of this or that. It has value, but it shouldn't be taken to mean it's the last word on the fidelity of the samples. Take it for what it is, not for what you wished it to be.

On another subject raised, my experience with audio suggests a somewhat different estimate of the Anthem's equivalent build cost. The assembled component BoM, boxed with all accessories included, ready for retail, is generally estimated to be about 20% of MSRP. So that would put the Anthem's raw cost without associated assembly labour, shipping, handling, distribution, advertising, and retail costs at about $300.00. And no, the retailer's portion is not +100%; he probably paid about $1000 to the distributor, modified up or down by certain business practices.

If the reseller runs a tight ship, he may have benefitted from an early payment discount of a few % (2, 3, 5 and 10% If paid within 10 days of shipping date are relatively common terms; the more expensive the component the more likely it's 2% versus 10), which comes out of the distributor's take; if his order was large, he may have received free shipping which again would come from the distributor's pocket; in contrast, if not a tight ship and/or a large order, he may have paid in 30 days with no discount, or took advantage of distributor financing under a "floor plan" price that adds an interest component over the time the unit sat in inventory, paying the invoice upon retail sale, and in all cases where the order was not large, the retailer paid a shipping charge.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 13th May 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 13th May 2017, 05:08 PM   #18
starkeyg is online now starkeyg
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Have my doubts about this comparison. In my experience different speakers need vastly different amounts of current. Some speakers are much easier to drive with low wattage. Seems too many variables to be sure of much anything other than with these speakers, it seems the high current amp does better.

IMHO,
Greg
Old 13th May 2017, 06:14 PM   #19
youknowyou is offline youknowyou  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Punch is also related to power rating and you're comparing a 46W ampli Vs a 225W one... not a fair comparison, IMHO.

Particularly if loudspeakers have low sensitivity.
depends on how loud you play it
im comparing a sony ta 707 vs my DHT 6b4g 15 WPC tube amp and theres no contest, the tube amp blows it out the window even with harbeth shl5+ speakers

A-B-C comparison, Chipamp, MyRef C and Anthem Integrated 225Hide this!Advertise here!