Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseehum View Post
We only balanced the volume by ear, but that apparent volume was set by the quietist amp (My Ref C) so that it was not 'pegged'. The music was normal listening volume. If the amp cannot perform in the room chosen at a volume level that one would want to listen to music, that is inherently a fault with the amp.
But still the (much) more powerfull amp has the advantage of more current capability

I must repeat myself, this is not a fair test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noseehum View Post
My main point is that if one has a budget of $70-100 dollars for poweramp boards and components (no hardware) the audio industry has a better way of spending it than the amps I built (that is those amps I had, not the myriad amps I might have built). The snag with commercial units is that one has to buy the hardware/profit/R&D etc. as well!
This is non-sense, particularly in DIY forum...

People approach DIY not only for budget reasons but also to have things done exactly like they want, free of manifacturers cost oriented design choices.

The $70-100 dollars budget is different between you and the manifacturer.
  1. the manifacturer pays much less parts, since it buy them in quantities.
  2. you don't pay the manifacturing cost but retail price.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
hurtz is offline hurtz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
My 2 cents – For the past few weeks I’ve been doing comparisons on an even narrower group – various flavors of the MyRef/LM3886 family. The words and phrases I might use to describe my impressions are indeed inadequate, but in truth – all we as humans have at our disposal. I recently discovered my ability to hear the full audio spectrum has changed due to the natural ageing process. A poster on the MyRef FE project suggested a standardized set of speakers for the beta builders – which I heartily endorsed – got little to no support. When the various room characteristics are necessarily included in the equation, things get even messier.

We all could add to the list of variables for days so I won’t even try to be definitive. I’m beginning to believe that the book title from the 60s really applies to the audio world – “When you meet the Guru in the middle of the road, run the other way.” That doesn’t diminish or challenge the honesty/validity of ones stated impressions. There just doesn’t appear to be a one size fits all – either sonically or with lab tools - method in an area that in its very nature is at least half artistic.

I think the best we can do is use the terms we have to report what each of us experience/prefer (with as complete a description of limiting elements as is practical), and leave the determination of “Best” to those would enjoy calculating Pi to “Infinity and Beyond”.
+1 :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!