Ebay amp....power supply? quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
never seen that particular thing, but things i can allready see:
those pots are the dirth cheap ultra low quality ones, probably gona wear fast.
you need a quite large psu for this unit, looks expensive.
not to mention a large heatsink.
Allso the price seems way to cheap. 3 IC, the pots, caps, board.. I would be intrested in the reason behind the low price.

Save your money dude.

Just look at the capacitors, it appears that Rubycon now makes caps by hand. <Sarcasm.
(They are all different, they have that paper disc to cover the top, very poor fakes.)

Attachments

• sku_74961_5.jpg
    sku_74961_5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 362
I tend to agree. It seems too cheap to be true.

Having said that It might be a good starting block. If the caps are duds they may still work and, in any case, could be easilly swapped with better.

The pots are really crap. When they fail it wouldn't be impossible to substitute them for better too (you might have to mount replacements remotely though).

All said and done. The PCB may be reasonable with just poor components inserted.

Also the price seems way to cheap. 3 IC, the pots, caps, board.. I would be interested in the reason behind the low price.

Because the parts are fakes. I often buy ICs from China just to see what they are putting out. More often than not, they are counterfeit parts.

They don't look like the real parts I get from DigiKey and they also test out to be inferior electrically. I refuse to buy these cheap kits off eBay.

Seller got back to me and said there's no additional photos and that he/she doesn't know what brand components are on the board...but it does come assembled. I'm guessing maybe the seller dropships?

Either way...I'd be willing to buy and try, but I don't have parts laying around, nor do I know what it's going to require for the power supply. If anyone wants to give me some input on what kind of power the amp needs, then I can order some parts and test this thing out.

The advert tells you what transformer you need and looking at photo 4 you can see that it is dual rail.

(18-28V) - (18-28V). I would go for 25-0-25V

The power should be in the order of 2 x 80W+80W+160W which gives you about 625VA.

Don't forget this module will need quite a substantial heatsink.

Last edited:
Vacuphile, if you really, really want one I can order it and ship it to you for the actual cost. If you pm me your address, I can estimate the shipping cost and let you know.

Hi overclockedpc, that is really kind of you. I don't really need it, but I thought, what the heck, for 33 USD including shipping, I want to find out what it is. So I don't want to bother you with it,

tnx,
vac

I agree. It'd be a great deal at $33 but to spend near $100 for a transformer just to be able to try out this amp that may or may not be any good is too much of a gamble.

Vacuphile...don't worry about thanking me. I'm just happy to help a fellow enthusianst get what he/she needs.

That goes for anyone on here too....if you need parts that you can't get delivered to your country, drop me a PM.

If anyone does have a spare transformer laying around and wants to give this a go, I'd really like to find out why this amp is so cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.