KLH sub amp help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I bought a KLH sub off craigslist for $30. I figured it would be good enough for my pc. Everything is supposed to be in working order.

So, I plug in the sub in place of my HT sub to test it out and make sure everything does work.....That's where the fun begins. I test and fiddle with knobs and different inputs. Eventually I end up plugging in only the sub to my pc system and I can BARELY hear anything out of it.

I pulled the plate and this is what I found....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm guessing the caps are all toast. Soooo, question is - Should I just replace the amps and keep my fingers crossed that the amp was just run too hard for too long and that's why they blew?

Oh, and I can replace caps rated at a higher voltage right? Or should I replace with the same capacitance and voltage?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

(to think, I was scammed by my own people....it figures though, they're known to be con artists).

Nope. The faintest sound is there but it's barely audible even when you try to listen close.

Power comes on and everything. But when I took it apart there was a burnt electronics odor. Something in the amp isn't happy. And I would have thought glue too but it's not all the same color. Some places it's darker and it seems like capacitor goo.

I guess I can always open one of them up from the top and see if it's empty?

I'm a little confused. The rectifier is ac +/- and continuity on the rectifier suggests its working as it should.

The large (5W?) resistors do get pretty hot though with the amp just turned on, with no input at all.

Some of the caps are bulged out at the bottom though...

What's the next step in testing?

Probably You are right, even so checking will not realy hurt.

Yup, pulled one of the caps and the bottom of it was bulged. I'm assuming this was a slow leak in the caps. Probably since these are no name brands.

I got Panasonic FM/FC caps on the way along with a couple of diodes and resistors that look like they got a little hot along with the caps.

Digikey better be quick on the shipping!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.