All-in-one Speaker & Headphone amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default All-in-one Speaker & Headphone amp?

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations on designs for a DIY Speaker & Headphone amp? It would need to be able to take input from my Behringer UCA202 (from laptop). It will need to power the B&W DM601 speakers and the Sony MDR-ZX700 headphones. Its input will need to be RCA (2 x mono RCA sockets). Its output will be speaker wire connections and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Specs of the DM601s:
Sensitivity: 90dB spl (2.83V 1m)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms (minimum 4.3 ohms)
Power Handling: 25 - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped program
Max. recommended cable impedance: 0.1 ohms

Specs of the ZX700s:
Impedance : 24 ohms at 1 kHz
Sensitivity (db) : 106 dB/mW

I would prefer designs which have ready-made bare PCBs available for purchase to solder components to, though I would be able to produce single-sided PCBs using my school's photo-etch facilities.

I would prefer normal soldering, as surface-mount components are probably outside of my soldering skills at the moment, though I would consider a surface-mount design if it really is a better design than the available basic PCBs.

All components used must be available easily in the UK, and I don't really want to spend much more than 50 on this project unless absolutely necessary.

Many thanks,
IceQubed
Old 22nd April 2012, 06:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

For the headphones you need to add series resistors to the output. They serve not only to protect the phones from overload, but also the amp from the short that occurs each time you plug or unplug a headphone jack. The typical value for those resistors is 100-120 Ohms, but there is room for experimentation there.

The amp choice is a very personal thing, especially as you have to take compromises with such a limited budget. For a stereo amp with 2x25 W or more into 8 Ohm, at the same time stable into 4,3 Ohms, you will at least need an 80 VA transformer. Then you need a heatsink and a case, wires, screws, connectors, etc. Do the maths and see, how much you will have left for the amp as such. You will probably have to buy something from China.

Hide this!Advertise here!