Tube pre-amp for gainclone amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

My son is interested in making an amplifier to go with speakers that we have built. He wants to have a tube amplifier (because they look cool!), but I am thinking that a gainclone with a tube pre-amp would fit the bill. While he is interested in building audio things, I know from past experience that spending months investigating and experimenting will kill the project.

I have built lots of speakers & a couple of gainclones and kinda understand them, but do not even pretend to understand tube amps. I am looking for a straight forward way of having some fun building an amp with my son. I am interested in any DIY kit, DIY diagram/parts list, or even a Chinese pre-built from eBay, if it will work.

Anyone have some good links or know how to pull this off easily??

Thanks,
Bret

That Bottlehead Quickie looks interesting and I might consider building one in the future. I think the Aikido 9 pin or octal all in one kits might also be a good tube preamp for the gainclone because I've also been researching which tube preamp to build for my gainclone amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.