diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   RIAA preamplifier for turnable Ziphona MA 224 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/209758-riaa-preamplifier-turnable-ziphona-ma-224-a.html)

formula 22 29th March 2012 06:37 AM

RIAA preamplifier for turnable Ziphona MA 224

Hi people!
What's the best RIAA preamplifier for turntable Ziphona MA 224?:confused:
Thank you!

analog_sa 29th March 2012 06:48 AM

Does it even need a RIAA? Is the cart not ceramic?

formula 22 29th March 2012 08:29 AM

Ziphona MA 224 Riaa premp?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by analog_sa (Post 2964472)
Does it even need a RIAA? Is the cart not ceramic?

Hi,
Earpiece is a type of MM, at least I think so?
It should be checked in dataschet this turntable?
Let's move on,....

ThorstenL 29th March 2012 10:04 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by formula 22 (Post 2964467)
What's the best RIAA preamplifier for turntable Ziphona MA 224?:confused:

Ziphona was the east german turntable maker. I used to service those many years back. There are some east german turntables worth keeping, but the MA-224 is really poor IMHO, most of them actually are. There are only a handfull of belt drive Tables that where international standard and the very last direct drive / linear tracking ones, but only the Top of the range, not the ones with plastic arms.

Check the cartridge, if it is the common east german MM pickup then use any MM Phono pre. If it is the Piezo Pickup then it needs a 1MOHm input impedance and is approximately equalised and line-level already.

The Piezo-Pickups have CS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them, the magnetic systems have MS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them.

Anything else, check the make/model of the cartridge.

EQ is determined by the LP, not cartridge or turntable.

Ciao T

formula 22 29th March 2012 12:37 PM

CS 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorstenL (Post 2964598)
Hi,

Ziphona was the east german turntable maker. I used to service those many years back. There are some east german turntables worth keeping, but the MA-224 is really poor IMHO, most of them actually are. There are only a handfull of belt drive Tables that where international standard and the very last direct drive / linear tracking ones, but only the Top of the range, not the ones with plastic arms.

Check the cartridge, if it is the common east german MM pickup then use any MM Phono pre. If it is the Piezo Pickup then it needs a 1MOHm input impedance and is approximately equalised and line-level already.

The Piezo-Pickups have CS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them, the magnetic systems have MS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them.

Anything else, check the make/model of the cartridge.

EQ is determined by the LP, not cartridge or turntable.

Ciao T

On the speakers says:
RFT
Web nell DDR
CS 29

ThorstenL 29th March 2012 01:31 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by formula 22 (Post 2964737)
On the speakers says:
RFT
Web nell DDR
CS 29

CS-29 is a ceramic cartridge, it was designed for 1MOhm input impedance and no equalisation or amplification. IIRC the output will be around 150mV or so..

This is an extremely low fidelity cartridge. The output will follow the LP Equalisation only very approximatly and have very large deviations from flat.

Back in my day we used to joke "RFT = Reicht Fünf Tage" (lasts 5 days before it breaks).

For the life of me I cannot imagine the path this record player must have taken to end up in El Salvador though.

Ciao T

formula 22 29th March 2012 02:15 PM

Riaa pream for CS-29?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ThorstenL !
What RIAA preamplifie for CS-29 to recommend?
I made ​​the RIAA preamp by this schematic, but in the secondary area (from 1 ... 3kHz) is the large distortion?
And this gives the preamplifier gain of about Au=60dB is too high.

thank you and cheers!

ThorstenL 29th March 2012 02:30 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by formula 22 (Post 2964868)
What RIAA preamplifie for CS-29 to recommend?

No RIAA. No Preamp.

Just 1MOhm input impedance. Basically any high impedance will do. Like OPA2604, connected as buffer, 1MOhm resistor on input to ground.

But the CS-29 has very poor sound quality. Best not bother.

Ciao T

formula 22 29th March 2012 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThorstenL (Post 2964880)
Hi,

No RIAA. No Preamp.

Just 1MOhm input impedance. Basically any high impedance will do. Like OPA2604, connected as buffer, 1MOhm resistor on input to ground.

But the CS-29 has very poor sound quality. Best not bother.

Ciao T

Do I create such a buffer for the CS-29.

ThorstenL 29th March 2012 03:36 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by formula 22 (Post 2964948)
Do I create such a buffer for the CS-29.

Yes, but remove the capacitor C1.

If gain is not enough you add some gain for the Op-Amp, but no EQ.

Another option I remembered is given on this page:

Stereo Pickups & Phono Cartridges : 1958 - today – Stereotonabnehmer

http://www.badenhausen.com/images/PU1adapter.gif

This should make the CS29 work with a normal MM Phono Stage, no idea how well, never tried it. Even in East Germany I stictly used Moving Magnet Cartridges! Piezo is very low quality.

Ciao T